• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 How to reach the attachment bolts?

dholder

Seems I have to do everything twice to get it right. Double lip seal is leaking after it was replaced during my recent transmission overhaul and transfer case reseal. I was hoping for minimum disassembly to reach the seal but can't access the drivers side bolt attaching the transfer case to the adapter. I did this job once 20 years ago and don't remember any problems. Any tips on how to reach that one bolt?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Support the transmission and remove the cross member.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Yes, it's a really tight spot.
You can use a combination of different wrenches and sockets, in a pinch, and turn the bolt out a bit at a time, but if you do much wrenching on old cars, you really should get a set of starter wrenches like the one in the photo.

I also have a number of sockets, wrenches, and other odds-n-ends that are cut, welded, or ground down, to work on specific applications. No Bronco tool box is complete without them.;)

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
D

dholder

So it seems you guys think it may be possible to get to that bolt? I know I can get it as Viperwolf said, by removing crossmember and while writing this I realize I should probably just do that. Probably easier in the long run. Thanks for bouncing ideas around, guys.

ryan97

Loc.
Richmond
I just re-installed my TCase in my 73 rebuild project and had no issues attaching it and then installing tranny cross member. If I recall that was how I disassembled it 6 months ago.

colby45

I replaced my transmission a while back and I did mine the same way. Supported the transfer case with the transmission jack and used a swivel and extension to bolt everything back up with the cross member off, then put the cross member on. I didn't encounter any bolts I couldn't get to.