• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Output Shaft Bearing "Pre-Load" or set end-play

OldBlue76

I have searched this site and reviewed many discussions and still don't seem to find a conclusive answer so if this has been answered already, I apologize.

The original Dana manual calls for setting the shims such that there will be 0.003-0.005” of end-play when the yoke nut is torqued down.

There is a school of thought (particularly for the HD output kit instructions by Wild Horses) that calls for setting the shims such that there is a “pre-load” of 2-7 inch-pounds when rotating the fully torqued down output shaft.

These seem to be quite different, from slightly pinched bearings to 0.005 slop.

I will be replacing the bearings/races with OEM style Timken. Preload or end-play? Thank you. :)

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
When I set up with NEW bearings I go with zero endplay, absolute minimal preload. Checked before installing seal. Used bearings , I would recommend minimum endplay. less than .003.

Jon

OP
OP
OldBlue76

OldBlue76

When I set up with NEW bearings I go with zero endplay, absolute minimal preload. Checked before installing seal. Used bearings , I would recommend minimum endplay. less than .003.

Jon
Thanks. That is where I had arrived at myself as well, but it helps to have it validated!!