• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 rear output shaft wear

CabinCruiser

Contributor
I’m concerned about the wear on the rear output shaft of my Dana 20. It almost looks like it was machined to have a small ridge there which had just been exaggerated over time but I doubt that’s the case. Can I just take this down with a machinists stone? Can a machine shop correct this? Is the output shaft the same as the jeep dana20 from the same time period? I really don’t want to spend $450 on the heavy duty shaft kit and I can’t find this for sale in any of the usual places.

Attachments

• CD664FD5-44F2-49F1-B5D2-9F9B088E0882.jpeg
    CD664FD5-44F2-49F1-B5D2-9F9B088E0882.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 53

OldBlue76

I’m concerned about the wear on the rear output shaft of my Dana 20. It almost looks like it was machined to have a small ridge there which had just been exaggerated over time but I doubt that’s the case. Can I just take this down with a machinists stone? Can a machine shop correct this? Is the output shaft the same as the jeep dana20 from the same time period? I really don’t want to spend $450 on the heavy duty shaft kit and I can’t find this for sale in any of the usual places.
I'm thinking it is a feature not a flaw. Mine looks the same.

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Looks near perfect to me. Can't see any need to replace unless you are planning some hard wheeling.

Jim

OP
OP
C

CabinCruiser

Contributor
....wish you guys had chimed in back in July before I replaced it....I suppose I can at least sell it now that I understand it's perfectly fine. If anyone wants it, let me know.