• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 rear output shaft and speedo gear help

NCSUWoj

Loc.
Lynchburg, VA
Chasing a non-op speedometer and figured out the green plastic speedo gear was loose on the shaft. Managed to get it back on the shaft through the hole for the cable gear using some brake spoons. Took it for a drive and it was off again. Pulled it out and compared it to a spare I had and not sure what I am looking at? I can't imagine this is factory? It looks like it was sleeved or something compared to the other shaft in the pic.
I guess my best option is to rebuild the one shaft I have with the steel gear? It was not in the best shape and has some pitting on the teeth in a few places of the speedo gear.
Or should I try to glue/loctite the green gear back on its shaft? You can also see the remnants of the shims I guess that were in there? Not sure if they ended up that way because of the gear being loose on the shaft or if I have bigger issues.

Attachments

• IMG_20210712_221054848.jpg
    IMG_20210712_221054848.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210712_221101152.jpg
    IMG_20210712_221101152.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 45

mrdrnac

Contributor
First of all, I'm not an expert on Transfer cases. Viperwolf is our resident expert on the Dana 20. But here are my thoughts. The speedometer gear is supposed to slide on the shaft, it is not a pressed on fit. The shims and the preload on the bearings that is established when you set up the shaft, bearings and shims in the housing hold the speedometer gear from turning on the shaft.

So you need new shims and you need to set up the assembly with the correct end play or as most people do now a slight preload. Your one shaft looks like it was knurled by someone to try and hold the gear tight, don't know why that was done. If the gear will slide over it, I think it would work OK once the assembly is set up correctly. One other note, if I am counting correctly, your Green gear is a 6 tooth and the metal one is the more common 7 tooth gear. If you switch gears then you would also need to change the speedometer driven gear that goes into the housing to keep your speedometer accurate.

There is a chart published on here, by Viperwolf that shows the tooth count needed for the driven gear based on the drive gear tooth count.

Attachments

• speedo gear chart.JPG
    speedo gear chart.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 83
  • speedo gear chart(1).JPG
    speedo gear chart(1).JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 49