• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 running on 12 needle bearings or did a gremlin grab one??

Dirtroadjunkie

Hey guys! I pulled my Dana 20 today to seal it up a little better. As soon as I pulled it from the adapter needle bearings fell out like a yard sale. I gathered them up and came up with 12. Checked the site and sounds like there's supposed to be 13. I thought there could be one in the case so I pulled the plate, but no. Is it possible that it was rolling on 12 from the PO. Hate to seek out 1. Planning on upgrading to an atlas this winter and want to just run this for the summer. I need to get some Vaseline and chill it so I can place them where they go. Anybody ever ran 12 or did 1 vanish on me?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's possible. The last one is tricky to get in. I've heard of them running fine with no rollers. But take a good look and run a magnet inside the case. I'd hate to see what a hardened bearing can do if it got wedged between a couple gears.

OP
OP
D

Dirtroadjunkie

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'll go fishing again and look real hard for it. The first ride after getting it back together is going to be a real comfortable one if I don't find it. Waiting for a possible explosion!

H20rider

Same issue. I’m converting to an nv3550 and my Dana 20 has only 12. Besides having to but a full set for just 1 missing, I also don’t want to wait around for shipping ….unless it is important to have the full 13. If 12 is “good enough”, I’ll go with that. (I opened the door and thoroughly inspected the guts. A also ran a strong magnet around the inside and around each gear…no #13)
Reactions?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Same issue. I’m converting to an nv3550 and my Dana 20 has only 12. Besides having to but a full set for just 1 missing, I also don’t want to wait around for shipping ….unless it is important to have the full 13. If 12 is “good enough”, I’ll go with that. (I opened the door and thoroughly inspected the guts. A also ran a strong magnet around the inside and around each gear…no #13)
Reactions?
If you have it apart, get the one more. I’m sure someone has one laying around…lmk if you want one and I’ll check.

If so, it’s yours and I can throw it in the mail. Don’t do something so simple that you might regret.

H20rider

If you have it apart, get the one more. I’m sure someone has one laying around…lmk if you want one and I’ll check.

If so, it’s yours and I can throw it in the mail. Don’t do something so simple that you might regret.
That would be so helpful and appreciated!

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Found one.

PM me your address, and I’ll mail it tomorrow.

H20rider

Update for those who encounter this problem. I ended up making a needle bearing. I had a length of chrome-molly rod that was the correct diameter. I put it in my drill and clamped the drill sideways. Next I got a he dremel with a metal cutoff blade. I set it up so the drill spin was in opposition to the Dre Mel rotation. I cut the rod very slightly too long, then gradually ground the “bearing” end. I was able to match up the length Toto other bearings’ length to that thousands. Slipped it in and it has worked perfectly.
Of course, it would have been easier to buy a new set of bearing, but I did not want to wait for the shipping.
Maybe this will help someone?