• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Who is running a 351w,np435, dana 20?

OP
OP
thepunisher

thepunisher

Loc.
summertown,
To many to type,but here's one. Is your motor stock, does it produce enough torque to use third gear as first gear, with the gears you have. Or at least from a rolling stop. My first truck was an 80 f150 4x4 it had the 4 speed, 300, 4.10 gears and I drove it like a two speed. The 302 just can't do it, so building a 351.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
A 300Six is a torque monster and the pickup probably weighed less.

OP
OP
thepunisher

thepunisher

Loc.
summertown,
Unsweep, do you use 2nd gear at a Rollin stop. Is your 351 100% stock. To tell you the truth I don't see revs over 3300. I'm not doing fuel injection, is yours?

Thanks people for the calls and input.

Last edited:

Unaweep

Loc.
Grand Junction CO
Punisher, my 351W is stock except for headers. BUT- it's has about 150K +++ on it, it's not fresh, but still solid.

I am running a Q jet carb, and have a Holley Street Dominator spread bore intake manifold. (I just took off the fuel injection and old manifold, but that's another story)

I start in 2nd gear, if you consider 1st gear granny (it is, first gear is not synchronized).

FYI a "rollin stop" is the same to me as a full stop, I would use the same gear.

I have started in 3rd gear, but its just slightly too high a gear, not good for the clutch but not especially hurtful either.

I don't rev it much, doubt it gets over 3000 RPM much.

I'm at 4200 ft altitude, that does take away much power as compared to sea level.

Could you be more specific what your actually concerned about? I'm not quite sure what your actually wanting to know.

I'm the type of driver who likes torque more than HP.

J.E.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not real sure why you would be concerned about taking off in 3rd gear or even using 3rd gear like first.%) But overall yes a stock 351 will have more torque than the 302 on the low end and probably more than a 300 would on the low end.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
I have had NP435s behind 300s, 302s and 351s. None liked 3rd gear in high range from a dead stop. Not good on the clutch. All of them liked 2nd gear from a dead stop, thats how I drive on the street all of the time. In low range any of them can handle 3rd on level ground. A lot depends on your rear end gears and your tire size too.