• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 shift problem

WPBronco

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS
I have a 68 with T shift Dana 20. 4 Low and 2 high shift work fine but it will not shift into 4H. I dropped the transfer case and took off the cover to get a closer look. THe sliding gear on the front will not slide forward. I took out the detent spring and ball on both sides and then I can get the gear to slide into position. What is causing my problem? Do I need new rails? Tried looking at a shop manual picture and I am wondering what job do the rods play into this? I have not removed the access hole screw. Is there an adjustment there?

thanks for the help

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I have to back mine up to get it in 4 H and to get it out. Back it up and pull it into 4h as you let off the gas

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Have the hubs turned in too, forgot to mention that. Sometimes it will go from 4 H to 2 H just by letting up on the gas while moving slow. Pretty tempermental sometimes. The colder it is the worse it is.

OP
OP
W

WPBronco

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS
I have not tried the back up in reverse method. Will have to try that if I dont decide to change to Twin sticks. Are most people running twin sticks? Looking at the factory shift linkage setup, it is understandable why it can be difficult to to shift in any direction.