• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 strength

kam

I recently picked up a '77 EB. I haven't had any experiences with dana 20 t-cases. How are they in the strength department?

thanks

Keith

Allen_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sugar Grove Pa
Normally you'll bust ujoints before busting the d20, but it's not the stoutest xfer case out there. It's major appeal is it's 4lo gearing. If you don't get above 36" tires it'll probably hold up depending on how much of a lead foot you have. Chuck is now making a chromoly output shaft upgrade for the D20, if you're worried about breaking one. Personally I keep a spare output shaft while wheeling. If you do get into the more extreme wheeling most upgrade to a Atlas. I've been wheeling EB's for about 20 yrs and have yet to break a D20, but then I've been accused of being a wuss with the go pedal. I'm more a finesse over HP kind of wheeler

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
The dana 20 is a good strong case for its size, If your gonna seriously wheel it, you might want to go with the heavy duty output shaft. But I have not had any problems with the stock Dana 20;D

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I broke one once. Dumb move on my part but I have seen a few outputshafts that had twisted splines. But I see more output shafts than most. I will be running a D-20 in my class 3 with my output shaft. I do not expect any trouble. I will be running a 327 hp 351w, the ZF and 4.56 gears and 35" BFGs

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D The only thing I have broken on the d20 is the out put shaft and it was my fault slamed second on the road at about 5500 have a 4 spd top loader and it just snaped it that is the only time they work realey good .8) 8) 8) Bill ;D 8) %)

OP
OP
K

kam

Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone's np435 adapter stand out above the rest?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
My U-joints usually dissintegrate before anything in the tranny/ x-fer case can. Haven't busted one yet, but then again I don't have the gearing of a rockcrawler

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I think the origional BIG FOOT ran a dana 20 t-case. That should make it plenty strong for most eb's

OP
OP
K

kam

LOL...that can be my new fact for the day;D !!! Thanks for the info, everybody!