• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 20 Transfer Case Removal

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
I’m having difficulty separating the Dana 20 from the C4 adaptor. I tried separating the two with a rubber hammer and it just won’t come apart. Any tips or tricks? I’m going to open up the transfer case to change some seals and gaskets.

Attachments

• 9B53A5FE-79FA-435B-9927-EB95986A4F53.jpg
    9B53A5FE-79FA-435B-9927-EB95986A4F53.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 101
  • C15AD21F-3066-4F72-98E8-8C035B436652.jpg
    C15AD21F-3066-4F72-98E8-8C035B436652.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 99

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
You can remove the Dana 20 output assembly and tap on the spud shaft to drive it out of the transfer case. However, that's generally done with the adapter removed. You're still going to need to break the seal between the adapter and t-case.

Putty knife and hammer will typically get the job done, but some of those gaskets can be pretty stubborn.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
You can remove the Dana 20 output assembly and tap on the spud shaft to drive it out of the transfer case. However, that's generally done with the adapter removed. You're still going to need to break the seal between the adapter and t-case.

Putty knife and hammer will typically get the job done, but some of those gaskets can be pretty stubborn.

Tried all that already... putty knife, tried to hammer a flat head between the two and not even a slight move. Its as if someone welded the two together lol. Looks like I have a pretty stubborn one... it’s going to be a long battle.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can also hit the "wings" on the adapter (where the crossmember mounts go) to give it some spin action to help break it loose.
It's not a guarantee of course, but those little extra side motions might help.

You could even put some English on it with a prybar in the holes (pressing sideways while you smack it in other directions) but I would be careful. Even though it's cast iron and heck for strong, you don't want to put too much force into a narrow wing.
Still, the mounting flange ain't exactly thick, or the strongest part of the housing either. So a little English on the side wings might just help.

And I'm sure by now you've quadruple-checked to make sure that there are no additional bolts left undone?
Had to ask...;)

Good luck.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
It will come apart. Sometimes the gasket or RTV can be a MF. Make sure all 6 bolts are out. Good putty knife between Dana 20 and adapter to cut the sealing surface then wack the adapter with a big rubber dead blow mallet, alternating one side and then the other.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
It's probably sticking on the dowel pin on the 12 'o'clock position on the adapter too. It fits nice and snug.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Also, you're actually better off wacking on the large crossmember ears. You really don't want to wack hard on those small adapter ears. They are more prone to breaking. You're hitting on a 50 year old adapter. ;)

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hence, wood between whatever you hit and hammer, after break free and heat. Thought mine was one peice then finally hit it hard enough and it came right apart.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Just wanted to update y'all I was able to separate them apart. I just had to give it a nice couple hard hits and got them free. I was a little scared at first lol. Thanks!