• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 30 vs. Dana 44 front driveshafts- different or not?

dji

should be the same length. Yokes will be different at the transfer case. Smaller for the 30 than the 44. Had the same problem. Had to replace yoke at t-case.

OP
OP

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Thanks for the info- I was hoping the D30 was longer than the 44 (smaller pumpkin=longer distance) to avoid having to buy a longer Driveshaft for my lift and transfer case mods. I have access to a D30 front D-shaft in good condition.<br>Guess I will have to spring for a new shaft...<br>Most D30s are probably B-W and not spicer designs anyway....

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
I've had this one argued before ...... In every D30 to D44 swap I've done , & I've done a bunch the D30 SPICER shaft is about 5/8" longer . Even with a 2 1/2 " lift it is too long , it's fully collasped . I had at one time a dozen shafts in stock , measured all & that was a consistent finding . Also pre '70's used a Borg Warner shaft / yokes . But thats another Bronco inconsistency , just did a '67 & it swapped with no problem but I did a '70 last year that had a B/W in it ... go figure .

OP
OP

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Just the kind of expert knowledge I was looking for.... Thanks, Steve.<br>With a 4.5" lift will it still be too short? How about with the D20 moved 1 5/8" back?<br><br>This is a 1970 EB shaft; I need to recheck it but I think it is a spicer. <br><br>Thanks again-

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
I used one in an old 4" Rancho lift , good fit . Guess you'll just have to do it & see . Main thing is not have it too short or too tight , disaster either way . :p

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I also found the d-30 shaft to be a little longer when swapping our 66 to a 44. I ended up using the d-30 shaft on my 72 with 3 1/2" bc lift with no problem yet. I put the stock 44 shaft on the 66 with a 3" rancho lift(and new 44).

OP
OP

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Thanks much for all the input. I will confirm it is a spicer shaft when I pick it up, and if it is I will test fit it and see what the length is. Appreciate the information.