• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 41? "1970 Bronco" Dana 30?

luke1970

Loc.
Fayetteville AR
Hey guys, my bronco is doing great but does not have the stopping power that I am used to nor that I i want it to have. I was thiinking about the dsik upgrade of course but have no idea how to identify what I have up front. I was told it was a Dana 41 and if so to scrap it and get the 44 with disk.

I am not a crawler, just a trail guy and mountain biker so should I do this? ;D thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Mid-71 was the changeover from Dana 30 to Dana 44 front axle. Chevy disk conversion will fit both though. If you do have the 30 and upgrade to a 44 later the disks will swap right over too. For your usage the 30 is fine.

OP
OP
luke1970

luke1970

Loc.
Fayetteville AR
viperwolf, good feedback on the chevy swap over from 30 to 44, that makes the investment a little easier. 70 Steve, thanks as well, I will check it out tonight and see what the heck I've got.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
the above is good, but there is one oddball. In a few trucks there is the kingpin Dana 44. It was sometimes installed as a warranty replacment and there is an RPO code for it.

If the diff has a "44" cast into it. If the diff cover looks like a 44 and not a 30. Then it is a king pin dana 44. Little odd, but functional. If you have this, no reason to get rid of it. Just put disks on it and all is fine. No reason to scrap it (unless you want to throw away a Dana 44).