• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 44 carrier out of a scout

Geniusloerts

Does anyone know off hand if a scout dana 44 carrier will work in a ford dana 44?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If the Ford is from an EB or other early style with "standard rotation" or "standard cut" gears, then yes it should work.
Back in the day, all the 44 carriers were the same no matter what rig they came from. There were other differences in the diff assemblies of course, but the carrier and R&P gears were the same.

But once Ford had them build a front-specific Dana 44, and then Jeep started using unique-to-Jeep stuff later, all bets were off. Even though I think some carriers stayed the same even with the new cut of the gears.

So yes, I'm pretty sure anything of a Scout vintage, going into anything of an EB vintage 44, it should work.

Anyone else know what might be different?

Paul

Digger556

I was only thinking about carrier breaks. My memory is a little fuzzy, but i think they break between 3.73 and 4.10 gear ratios.

The newest Jeep Dana 44s are totally unique. I think the front is the same carrier, but gears are different. The rear carrier is 32 spline vs the standard 30 spline.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Great point Digger. Do you know what the gear ratio is on the Scout unit Geniousloerts?
I think the 44 uses 3.92 and up, and 3.73 and down (but I could be wrong as well) for their carrier break.

If the Scout was 4.10 (or is it 4.09 for the 44?) and your Bronco is 3.50, then it will still fit in to the housing, but you'll need to either keep the 4-series gears and match the rear gears (not a bad thing), or buy a new set of appropriate gears for the carrier.

Got that?;D

Paul

(edit: I think the gears only go one way, which is to get the "thick gears" to match a higher-numerically gear set to a lower-numerically carrier. You can't go the other way)

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hah! Another valid point.

Older Jeeps often had 19 spline diffs, with the Fords getting 30 splines all years that I know of. But most of my books/cheat sheets don't list Scout applications, so not sure what was used. And knowing International, it could have been any-of-the-above over the years.

One clue could be the year. Auburn diffs list 44's as having 19 splines up to '70, and 30 splines for '71 and later units.

Got all that now?;D

Paul

OP
OP
Geniusloerts

Geniusloerts

haha, yeah, all the things I was leaning towards being things to look at.

The guy says it has 3.90 gears.... Digger is correct, the Dana break over on the carrier is suppose to be 3.73/3.92. So chop that up for what you will.

Carrier-Illustration.gif

My axle getting swapped into my 71 is from a 76 bronco with 3.50 gears. My stock ratio in my 71 is 4.10. I picked up a ring and pinion set from a friend who bought them and never used them on his crawler cause he went off the deep end with bigger tires and gears.

larryejoh

I used a limited slip Dana 44 carrier from a Scout in my front end using my 3.50 ring and pinion. I’m not sure the year of Scout though but it was a standard rotation like an Early Bronco.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Carrier doesn't care about rotation. The same ARB fits standard and reverse. The gears matter.

About 2005 Dana got all weird with the model 44. But before that (or older legacy models) are standard. There are only two things to really worry about. Spline count and carrier break. Even then there are a few little oddities, Honda Passport (rebadged Isuzu) has a rear dana 44 and 4.30 gears, but use a thick cut gear from the factory.