• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 44 cleaning

johnbeck

I pulled one of the axles part way out..., then pushed it back in Pulled it out again but the spline had dirt and sand on it. How can I clean out the Dana 44 axle shafts the axles are encased in? I'm hoping I didn't get the tunnel grit into the bearing spline reinserting the axle. Thanks

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
The last time I did one I made a tool. I used a piece of 1/2" round stock and welded a big washer that I cut in half on the end. I held it toward the top and pushed it in a ways and let it drag the bottom as I pulled all the crap out. Like you said, sand dirt and all kinds of good stuff in there.
I had the carrier out and was replacing the seals, thats when I found all the fun stuff. After I got most of the chunks I used a rag with diesel on it and pulled it back through from the inside of the housing to the knuckle a few times. I used a dry rag the last time or two and called it good.
Not a fun job but definitely needs done when its plugged up.
Good luck!

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Doing this as well... in the middle of my gear change... bare housing. Broom stick inserted from passenger side, put a rag in drive side tube from center. ram it thru. inspect with flash light and repeat... switch to other side. last time thru, soak rag with kerosene or laquer thinner...

OP
OP
J

johnbeck

Thanks all! Got ideas from your input. Attached 3ft piece of half inch pvc to my shop vac, scraped in the tubes with the vac on. put solvent on a white sock stretched over the pvc stick, scrubbed the tube. Thanks again for the input!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm tellin' ya all, a cat-on-a-string and you're done!

Just tell the women-folk in your family that all the noise coming out of the shop is just a bad bearing in the shop-vac.;)
Otherwise they just won't understand...;D

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And yes, that's harsh even for me. I happen to love cats too, but just had to say it.

Paul

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
I am gonna try a cat next time! That will make my dog happy too!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio

Just tell the women-folk in your family that all the noise coming out of the shop is just a bad bearing in the shop-vac.;)

Paul

Just make sure and wear some thick gloves. Claws are sharp! Don't ask how I know. Ken

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.

Paul

That a tip from way back! Paul still has a good memory! 👍🏻

Mark