• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 Gear Swap

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
fordguy said:
so what would be the next step up from a trac loc
Power Lock. Same basic concept except that it uses steel clutches and has 4 pinion gears instead of 2. It has a reputation similar to that of the Detroit Locker. I.E. It is considered to be a bulletproof limited slip unit. A step up from that would be the all gear limited slip which I think is the power trac but I'm not certain. How much better or worse than the power lock it is I don't know since I have no personal experience with that one. Several people here run it though and like it. I know that I was able to break 4 axles with the power lock I had in mine before I finally swapped to a Detroit Locker. (Which I later upgraded to an ARB after I broke it)

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
feitctaj said:
where does the locRite fit in this equation ?
Lock Right is a lunchbox locker. As far as cost it is between the trac lock and the others. It's a locker though rather than a limited slip. Success with them is mixed. Some people run them up to 35" tires and don't have problems but for others they don't last with 33's. The Aussie Locker is similar. Perhaps a step up from it. Both require a stock carrier though and therefore are subject to the limits in strength of the stock carrier. Don't know about the Aussie but with the Lock Right the stock carrier usually outlasts the locker so that may not be a huge concern. FWIW, I had a lock right in the front of my old Scout II and it held up for a couple of years with 35" tires. My brother put one in the front of his big bronco though and busted it within 6 months. He fought with it for 4 or 5 trips (There wasn't anything apparent wrong with it) before he pulled it and replaced it with an ARB.