• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dana 44 - Inner Axle

BroncoMZ

Just got my D44 fabricated housing, F9 3rd member, inner and outer axles from Currie. It's Saturday, so Currie is closed. Hoping someone can answer my axle seal question before I call Currie on Monday.
- Is there only 1 seal per axle, closest to the 3rd member?
- Is there a seal in the D44 outer C?

17973.jpg

Last edited:

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
What Driver said. One seal by the housing but you gotta remove the carrier to get to it. No seal on the outside like the rear axle.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What they said. Discussed just this week (yesterday too) as a matter of fact: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286648
No seal in the outer tube, but if you have slingers that will fit to the new axles, they can help to keep much of the debris out of the tubes too.

What differential are you using? Open, limited-slip, or locker?

Paul

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
No seal in the outer tube, but if you have slingers that will fit to the new axles, they can help to keep much of the debris out of the tubes.
Paul

Ok Paul, where may I get a nice set of these “slinger” you speak of?!?!?!?

txhawkeye

Ok Paul, where may I get a nice set of these “slinger” you speak of?!?!?!?

I have some I just bought that don’t fit in my particular axle. Pm me you address and I will send them to you. They will just sit on the shelf here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BroncoMZ

BroncoMZ

What they said. Discussed just this week (yesterday too) as a matter of fact: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286648
No seal in the outer tube, but if you have slingers that will fit to the new axles, they can help to keep much of the debris out of the tubes too.

What differential are you using? Open, limited-slip, or locker?

Paul

Currie Ford 9”, nodular case, 31 spline, open differential.
Do you happen to remember the part number or manufacturer for the slinger?

OP
OP
BroncoMZ

BroncoMZ

I have some I just bought that don’t fit in my particular axle. Pm me you address and I will send them to you. They will just sit on the shelf here.

Do you have a part number for the slinger?

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll PM you.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That's a great thing hawkeye! Good on ya for keeping the good vibes going within the classicbroncos family!
Double check the bore diameter though guys, and compare to the shafts in question.
Since you're trying to fit them to aftermarket axle shafts, make sure they will work before you guys go to the trouble of shipping back and forth.

The good news is that at least the shafts in the picture have the flange for a slinger. Many brands don't have a place for them for some reason.
Notice too that both the inner and the outer shafts have a flange that they might work on. So check both.

Paul

OP
OP
BroncoMZ

BroncoMZ

Did some digging around for an inner axle dust shield / slinger.
My axle housing ID: 2.225 and axle OD: 1.340

Found EAS25100 from Sealsit.com that will work.

Attachments

• Axle_Seals.jpg
    Axle_Seals.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good find MZ. Glad you posted that. We've seen those for years, but before they were just listed for Jeeps and we were told that they would not work on an EB front end. But I don't think anyone ever actually measured.

This one is listed by size though, rather than application. Which sure makes it look like it will do the job.
You going to buy a set and check them out?

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I would por the inside tube before using the bushings as you might get a trapped moisture situation inside the tube.

OP
OP
BroncoMZ

BroncoMZ

Good find MZ. Glad you posted that. We've seen those for years, but before they were just listed for Jeeps and we were told that they would not work on an EB front end. But I don't think anyone ever actually measured.

This one is listed by size though, rather than application. Which sure makes it look like it will do the job.
You going to buy a set and check them out?

Paul

A set is on its way. Spoke to the owner, great guy with lots of information from years of experience.

I'll let you know how they work out when I get them.

OP
OP
BroncoMZ

BroncoMZ

I would por the inside tube before using the bushings as you might get a trapped moisture situation inside the tube.

I'll be powder coating me axle housings. Not sure how well the PC will cover deep in the tubes. I'll look into POR before PCing. Thanks.