• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dana 44 inner/outter seals

papy

Contributor
do all Bronco dana 44's take the same seals?

not sure what year bronco my 44 come out of however i am looking at these seals and the info on rock auto says 1971-74
CR Seals
SKF 13165 inner seal
SKF 24917 outer spindle seal

thanks

Last edited:

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
you have the v-lip spindle seal, the inner spindle seal for the needle bearings inside the spindle not all Dana 44 got those seals most chevy disk conversions had those seals too. and my original needle bearings were not pressed in far enough to accept them until I pressed the bearings in further. then you have the hub seal on the back wheel bearings. then you have the inner and outer hub seals for the plastic knob and the chrome hub. then there are also the 2 inner axle seals inside the gear case. also the little copper washer under the Allen screws in the hub knob covers.

then there is the odd Dana 30 rear spindle seal instead of the v-lip seal. those spindles could be swapped in too.

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
you have the v-lip spindle seal, the inner spindle seal for the needle bearings inside the spindle not all Dana 44 got those seals most chevy disk conversions had those seals too. and my original needle bearings were not pressed in far enough to accept them until I pressed the bearings in further. then you have the hub seal on the back wheel bearings. then you have the inner and outer hub seals for the plastic knob and the chrome hub. then there are also the 2 inner axle seals inside the gear case. also the little copper washer under the Allen screws in the hub knob covers.

then there is the odd Dana 30 rear spindle seal instead of the v-lip seal. those spindles could be swapped in too.

Hey

so the dana 44 i have was purchased as a rebuilt from TBP back in the mid 90's and is equipped with Chevy disk brake conversion. The driveline has been sitting outside since it was purchased and only put into service by me in April of this year. So 30yrs of sitting without oil in it is why the seals have dried out.

so i guess i just have to take it apart and see what i got for internals right? or can i figure this out before rip it apart. Be nice to have all the parts on hand while performing the service.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The innermost seal (the axle shaft seal way down the tube at the differential) looks like this: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/dana44_Inner_Axle_Seal/bronco_Dana44
This should be the only style used in a 44 of Early Bronco vintage.
The pictures I see of your "SKF 13165 inner seal" number listed above appears to be this type.

There is no seal at the outer end of the tube, such as you might find on some Dana 30 axles.

The wheel bearing seal (back of the bearing hub) is commonly referred to as a #4250 but some manufacturers use different numbers. But 4250 should cross over.
Your "SKF 24917 outer spindle seal" looks suspiciously like this seal. Best to double-check unless you already know that this is the wheel bearing hub to spindle seal. Consistent with being an "outer" seal, but with the wording these days it's not always easy to tell what the manufacturers are putting in the computer listings!

As the others have said, the actual seals used at the back of the spindle were of two different types. Even the spindles included in the GM disc brake conversion kits can vary between the two as well. However you are often limited to what type of spindle seal was used originally, so that the axle shafts themselves are compatible.
So look at the back of your spindle to see which style is already on your rig.

If it's a large press-in type seal (looks similar in size and style to the #4250 above) then you need one that looks like this: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Spindle_Seal_6672yr/bronco_Dana44
If it appears there are multiple components back there, then you have the 3-piece setup including a small seal that slips in over the spindle bearing, a larger flexible V-shaped seal that floats there between the spindle and axle shaft, and the thrust washer either made from bronze (original) or plastic (aftermarket) up against the axle shaft flange.

Even if you don't buy from us you can still see images of what each component looks like on this page here: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/bronco_Dana44/a

Hope that helps.

Paul