• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DANA 44 PINION Bearing Preload

72BRONCObuilder

Loc.
Los Angeles
Hello,
I am having problems with my pinion bearing preload. When I set everything up without the front slinger and seal my preload is around 35 in-lb. But with new bearings, and seal installed my preload is about 50 in-lbs. I have .058 of preload shims. Would tapping it with a brass hammer help? Should I add another .003 in preload shim. This is my second seal, I dread the thought of needed to buy a third one. Does my running torque sound right with seal?
thx

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
Boy, I don't know how much the seal adds to pre-load, but I Imagine it's not much If I were you I'd set the pinion without the seal at the 15-20ish in-lbs. they recommend (adding shims in your case), remove the yoke again, and then add the seal. That way you don't keep trashing seals.

You're supposed to lightly tap both ends of the pinion

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure how much drag the seal creates either but with new bearings you should have 15-35 in lbs. You should be checking the preload with out the seal in place once you have the preload set in the correct range then you install the seal.

OP
OP

72BRONCObuilder

Loc.
Los Angeles
Pinion Preload

I am checking the preload without the seal in place. I pressed the front bearing and flange together without the slinger and seal. Then I torqued the nut down to 200 ft-lbs and got 35 in-lbs. When I assemble everything together with seals and slinger, the yoke wont spin freely, more than 50 in-lbs. I think I might try adding 5mil in preload shim to solve this. It could be when I torqued everything down one of the races was not seated fully. I am not sure...Anyone out there have any experiences or lessons learned out there.
thx

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
At 200 ft lbs everthing should be seated properly since you were getting 35 in lbs before the seal is installed than you are within specs I wouldnt worry about the seal drag but you could try another shim and get the specs a little lower. but I wouldnt worry about it to much as long as it was within spec before the seal was installed

OP
OP

72BRONCObuilder

Loc.
Los Angeles
added shim

I added another 3mil in shim and got the preload down to 20 in-lbs. Once again, the torque with the seal installed installed is much higher. I am wondering if that speed sleeve I installed is causing the seal drag to go up.
thx for your help

Bart

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
I went through the same thing with my 44. The seal doesn't add much drag to the preload check. I set mine up have the required preload at the close to 200 lbs of torque on the yoke. Yes, the preload increased a bunch as I tightened the yoke nut. First I set it at 100lbs and checked it. I took it apart and added shims then at 150 lbs and had shims again. At 200# the reading was still with in tolerance so I left it there. Hopefully, you're using at dial type torque wrench and not a click type. The click type will never work. Torque is called for 200-250 # as I remember. It's been few weeks and I've done a lot of other things since then. I've got shop manuals for the 67 and 77 Bronks (hence 30 & 44). If you need any information from them let me know.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
72BRONCObuilder said:
I added another 3mil in shim and got the preload down to 20 in-lbs. Once again, the torque with the seal installed installed is much higher. I am wondering if that speed sleeve I installed is causing the seal drag to go up.
thx for your help
Ah! more info yeah the speedi sleeve will cause more drag. Sounds like your good to go like I said dont worry about the preload after the seal is installed.

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
Just help reasure you ..
FRom the Ford Book
" check the pinion bearing preload , the preload should 10-30 inch LBS, Add shimms to decrease preload and remove to increase preload.
When the pinion bearing preload is correct, remove the universal joint flange. Install the oil slinger on the outside of the front pinion bearing and install the oil seal. Be sure to soak the new oil seal in light engine oli for 30 minutes before installation."