• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash Blinkers Not Working (another electrical Q)

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I am tracing down my small electrical issues: no horn, no left brake light and no blinker lights in the dash. The first two I think I have under control. The lights in the dash that blink when you signal have me baffled. When I use the four way flashers they blink. When I use either signal they do not. The turn signals on the car work fine.

Any suggestions?

markperry

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a problem with the harness that goes through you steering column. I had the same issue, the drivers side turn signal and brake light wouldn't work but the flashers would. The replacement harness will cost you around 50 bucks and the installation won't take very long at all....the real gurus Dirtdonk Viperolf Oleguy and the rest will chime in shortly to help you.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I am tracing down my small electrical issues: no horn, no left brake light and no blinker lights in the dash. The first two I think I have under control. The lights in the dash that blink when you signal have me baffled. When I use the four way flashers they blink. When I use either signal they do not. The turn signals on the car work fine.

Any suggestions?

Shouldn't be possible unless the wiring has been modified. What year is it?

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
'68 with stock harness. There are a few wiring hacks under the dash I want to remove and wire correctly. I think this is mostly related to installing a radio.

I did not think it was possible either after looking at the diagram. Time to start digging around under there.

Thanks

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The indicator light wires connect to the front turn signal wires at the column connector. They operate in parallel with the front turn lights. Look at the column connector. On the connector you'll see 2 pins that each have 2 wires, white-blue and green-white. One is front turn and the other is indicator on each pin.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
My brake light and indicator lights seem to all be related to the steering column. I started at the tail light and verified the light worked by jumping 12V to it. Then at the connection under the floor. Then at the connection in the engine compartment. This let me verify the wiring and connection are good. Once I traced it to the column connector I discovered no 12V coming out of the column. I think the t-signals and brakes use the same connection so I guess this is why brakes run through the column.

Also if I jiggle the turn signal stalk the indicators in the dash blink if I have the signal on. I guess I need to pull the column wiring out and take a looky in there. Cool part is all my problems (electrical anyway) seem to come back to the column. I bet the column wires are why my horn is not working either...

Thought I would update this thread for anyone else reading along.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The brake light current does go through the column and turn switch. That's how it gets interupted when the switch is on.

Everthing in your last post makes sense and points to a bad turn signal switch. The thing that didn't make sense in your first post was that the indicators didn't work but the actual turn signals did.

OP
OP
pcf_mark

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I was able to pull the wheel and get into the switch. All my problems stemmed from the cancel cam. It was not flat (looking at it from the side) because it was jammed in there with all the wiring years ago. I slipped it out, heated it with my heat gun until it was past flat and let it cool while I was holding it. Then I bent the contact "wires" more like paper clip pieces out some. Once they had good contact my dash lights (which appear to be powered by the front signals) and both brake lights started working. I am pretty sure the fronts were working at one time but I guess they had been working sporadically.

I also cleaned up the horn contacts and the wiring for that is good too. Now I need to get the plastic thing that mounts the horn button.

Thanks fellas!
Mark