• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Deal of the year, update-rubicon gears wont work!!

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
I was looking around on E bay two weeks ago and found a set of spicer gears out of a rubicon(4.09s) the bid was at twenty dollars, still had two days to go, so I bid twenty and dammed if no body else bid, usps just dropped them off and they are what there supposed to be !!! SCORE.

Last edited:

Hefty

Loc.
Monument, CO
Ha nice score but your not planning on using them in you bronco are you? The rubi's 44 isnt compatible with other d44s. The factory lockers would be a cheap easy upgrade to any other d44 if they were compatible

OP
OP
av bronco

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Ha nice score but your not planning on using them in you bronco are you? The rubi's 44 isnt compatible with other d44s. The factory lockers would be a cheap easy upgrade to any other d44 if they were compatible

Rubicon 4.11 gears are the same as thick gears, meaning that you will be able to use your carrer if you have 3.50s, the olny diffrence is the bolts are 7/16 on the ring gear.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
Rubicon 4.11 gears are the same as thick gears, meaning that you will be able to use your carrer if you have 3.50s, the only diffrence is the bolts are 7/16 on the ring gear.
Not all Rubi's are the same. The TJ d44 uses the same thick gears as all others. The JK gears are actually bigger than a standard d44 .They might fit in the Bronco housing but I haven't tried it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If they are TJ gears they should work. I think the front high pinion and the rear is low pinion but they are traditional D44 gears.

Now late model JK has an odd not really a D44 rear axle, but I think the front is the same as TJs (center section, no the outers)

If it is a JK rear I have a $20 for you as I want to try something with them.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
If they are TJ gears they should work. I think the front high pinion and the rear is low pinion but they are traditional D44 gears.

Now late model JK has an odd not really a D44 rear axle, but I think the front is the same as TJs (center section, no the outers)

If it is a JK rear I have a $20 for you as I want to try something with them.
You might be right on the front. Iv'e only worked on rears so far swapping carriers for lockers.
I'll keep you in mind for left over rear JK gears. I should have a set in a month or so.
Are you looking for a certain ratio or just for fun?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You might be right on the front. Iv'e only worked on rears so far swapping carriers for lockers.
I'll keep you in mind for left over rear JK gears. I should have a set in a month or so.
Are you looking for a certain ratio or just for fun?

I have a theory about a set of JK gears for a non-bronco application. Don't want to spend any real money on it, just want to see if it will work.

OP
OP
av bronco

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
So far so good, the ring fits the carrer, now for the pinion, dident loosen the pinion nut before pulling axles hopefully the impact will zap it off.

OP
OP
av bronco

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Just tried the pinion, all kinds of problems- the yoke is shorter and fatter,on the splines and the bearing i.d. so 2008 rubicon gears DO NOT FIT early broncos!!!

OP
OP
av bronco

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Talked to the people at Complete Off Road(good people) and there is a rubicon gear set that will work but it aint mine, gotta be a certan year and the right initals-tj,yj,cj,ca,aa,mf-hell I dont know but it's cool cuz I really wasnt confortable with anything "jeep" on my bronco anyway;D

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Talked to the people at Complete Off Road(good people) and there is a rubicon gear set that will work but it aint mine, gotta be a certan year and the right initals-tj,yj,cj,ca,aa,mf-hell I dont know but it's cool cuz I really wasnt confortable with anything "jeep" on my bronco anyway;D

You don't want parts from an SUV endorsed by a clown?

Smells like a steak and seats 35
It goes real slow with the hammer down
The federal highway commission has ruled the Canyonero unfit for highway or city driving.
12 yards long, 2 lanes wide, 65 tons of American pride
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts
She blinds everybody with her super high beams
She is a squirrel squashing, deer smacking driving machine.

(love the avitar)

OP
OP
av bronco

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
You don't want parts from an SUV endorsed by a clown?

Smells like a steak and seats 35
It goes real slow with the hammer down
The federal highway commission has ruled the Canyonero unfit for highway or city driving.
12 yards long, 2 lanes wide, 65 tons of American pride
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts
She blinds everybody with her super high beams
She is a squirrel squashing, deer smacking driving machine.

(love the avitar)

Gotta change em up about wewry two weeks;)