• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

delphi steering box

koolkris

i got a delphi box from 2001 xterra and also a box from a 2000 jeep grand cherokee, i took the sector shaft out of the cherokee box and put it in the xterra box, that was simple! i was thinking the 3 of the 4 bolt holes would line up perfect but the upper hole is more than 1/2 hole off ???

any suggestions what would be the best way to mount this box?

also im not having much luck finding 16 and 14mm inverted flare adapter fittings

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
any suggestions what would be the best way to mount this box?
I would plate the frame both on outside and inside and drill all new holes
also im not having much luck finding 16 and 14mm inverted flare adapter fittings
Not sure about the adapters, I would find a place that makes hydraulic hoses and look there, but you can always get new hoses made in whatever config you need.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
I would plate the frame both on outside and inside and drill all new holes

I remember my holes lining up damn close but I plated both sides and added new inner braces to (1/4 DOM).

Not sure about the adapters, I would find a place that makes hydraulic hoses and look there, but you can always get new hoses made in whatever config you need.

Got my box and hoses from borgeson. prob cheaper to get them made local but bought them as a package deal on ebay.

Tim

Krawlin5

If you look at the delphi box Jeffs bronco graveyard sells it looks like they redrilled all holes offset to get the box to bolt up. Check out the pic on there web site.

OP
OP
K

koolkris

i did see that pic, thats what it looked like they did to me as well,
im gonna c clamp a piece of plate to my frame and use transfer punch and make a 3 bolt hole template, then use template and die grinder on the work bench and see if i can make a match!!!
thanks! surfer, timmy and krawlin

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Maybe my box was drilled too......been a few years since I put it on. Too many beers ago to count.

I used construction paper to make a template then cut out my plate and used a drill press of the holes. While you have it apart, knock out the inner frame "supports" such as they are and add something more substantial. I used 1/4 DOM but that was overkill. It was handy so I went with it. The factory inner supports are JUNK. Mine dang near fell out when I hit them.

Tim

Krawlin5

Koolkris let me know how it turns out Im still looking for a nissan box but I got the jeep sector shaft this weekend.Where did you get your box and what was the cost? I though about buy a rebuild from advance auto but it is $240 and I would like to get one cheaper.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That Xterra Delphi box should have a 3/8" inverted flare inlet. Metric return. If you are chasing metric adaptors for the inlet to the box you are chasing the wrong fittings. I have always said to get the box with the return nipple still on it (cut the rubber hose). A standard 3/8" power steering return hose will slip on the nipple and will convert metric to standard. If you didn't get that nipple then it gets harder. I might even try a dealer.

OP
OP
K

koolkris

i took the box to napa, a 14mmx1.5 bolt threaded in with ease, also 16mmx1.5 went in the other one??? i assumed it was 16 and 14 mm inverted flare

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I used the stock return nipple off of a '90's Nissan pickup. Can't remember if it is 16mm or not. Look at an Edelman 39106. May be what you are looking for. As far as the pressure line I bought an adapter from PSC and made my own hose with their fittings and pressure hose.

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I had a bunch of different hoses that seem to fit either the delphi box or the pump. I figured out which fit where and took them down to the hose shop and they made a set while I waited.