• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Derale Tranny Fan Noisy?

betzgb

Contributor
Hey guys, I am building a 76 with 5.0L and 4R70W from a 96 Explorer. I need to figure out my plan for cooling the transmission. I spoke to BC Broncos and they are suggesting the Derale 13700 mounted on the passenger fender well. This will be a street driver 99% of the time in North Texas (think lots of highways and 100+ heat in the summer) so this build is about keeping things as comfortable as possible - vintage air, quiet exhaust, top to bottom dynamat, hard top, cruise control, carpet, etc.

Broncos are not quiet, but given my objective of trying to keep this one as quiet as possible, is the electric fan route a good option or are they pretty intrusive? or better to mount the Explorer plate cooler in front of the radiator and be done with it? or some combination of both?

Thanks for weighing in

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My .02 is a much bigger plate cooler in front of the radiator
I run a one ton Chevy plate cooler and The transmission is still not as cool as I would like to be. The explorer trans cooler is much smaller
I guess it depends too if your are running the trans lines through the radiator trans cooler also
great set up good luck

OP
OP
B

betzgb

Contributor
Thanks spap. No plans to run it through the radiator so it will be dependent on the plate cooler and/or the derale cooler 13700

OP
OP
B

betzgb

Contributor
My radiator doesn't have the capability. just a "regular" radiator with reverse setup for explorer

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I have an older model derale in same location, you can definitely hear it out on trail when you shut down for a few for whatever reason... I usually just leave key on, let it work :D

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Oh and it's not obnoxiously loud, but you can hear it

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Take the radiator in and have a cooler installed.

The Frontier and Xterra forums were telling everyone to bypass the in radiator cooler and just run the big stacked plate cooler, it has enough cooling. There was an issue with the cooler corroding and contaminating the transmission. didn't take long and they are now going for hook that cooler back up or you will fry the transmission you were trying to save. Only takes one slow drive up a steep grade and the oil to air cooler can't keep up.

There are very good reasons just about every automatic transmission around has an in radiator cooler. They work.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Take the radiator in and have a cooler installed.
There are very good reasons just about every automatic transmission around has an in radiator cooler. They work.

Amen brother... all the help we can get