• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit/Eaton customer service

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Has anyone had any luck with actually talking to someone at Eaton. I have a Detroit Tru-trac that is giving me problems and have had no luck trying to contact them.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Out of curiosity, what is the problem with the TruTrac? I have one as well and may need to watch out for any problems..

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm following this as well surfer-b, because you'll be the first person I've heard of (that I remember at least) having an issue with a TT unit since I've been selling them (26 years now) and through at least two, if not three different manufacturer/owners of the brand.

Figured that it was only a matter of time though, since they are not exactly simple little devices under no stress(!) and with enough small parts like that, something was bound to go wrong. But the last time I talked to someone at the company (at the time it was Tractech) they said they did have rebuild kits available, but he'd never sold one.

To answer your question though, I've never tried to get in touch with anyone at Eaton so have no experience and can't help there.
Sorry. Good luck though. Sometimes you get lucky.

Just curious, have you been able to speak to any person at all?

Paul

OP
OP
surfer-b

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Out of curiosity, what is the problem with the TruTrac?

This is the only time I have ever had a prob with one. Under acceleration there is a bad vibration, soon as the throttle is chopped the vibration will go away, this has been an ongoing process for about 3 wks. I tried everything, from removing the rear d-shaft to just running it in 4 high, you name it I tried. I tried to put it on jack stands and run it, but without resistance it would not show up. I swapped chunks with my 74 and the vibration went away so the 1st thought was its the gears or a bearing, however they didn't look bad at all, in fact they looked great, but I had another set, and new bearings, so I installed them and the same vibration occurred. This only leaves the tru trac. I havn't tore into it yet so I have no idea what may be the cause, I assume one of the helical gears is bad. I hate trying to narrow down a vibration in the drivetrain, it can become costly and time consuming. Soon as I find out something I will post it.

Just curious, have you been able to speak to any person at all?

No, I have left a message but no returned call, I will send them an email if I don't here anything today. It just pisses me off to try and get in touch with someone in customer service and all you get is a recording to leave a message

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, sounds weird. I would have said that it was a 90% chance of being the driveshaft, but with your tests I guess you pretty much eliminated that. Surprised that it vibrated under the same circumstances though, with the shaft removed. In that case there was no power input into the differential so the dynamics would have been completely different from when it's used as the drive diff.
As I said, weird...

Not really sure what it could be in a diff that could do that going in a straight line. In theory (I think anyway) there is literally nothing going on inside when you're going straight. Under power or coast, when both wheels are turning at the same speed there is nothing going on inside except to do with the ring and pinion gears.
A slight difference in tire size could do it. Whether from wear, different air pressures, or just size variations, a little would do something. But would also only be making things move just barely inside.

Guessing that if something is indeed wrong internally, it could possibly have an effect. But can't think of what.

Did you try the different driveshaft alone by any chance? Just your pumpkin and your 74's driveshaft?

Good luck.

Paul

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
Yeah, sounds weird. I would have said that it was a 90% chance of being the driveshaft, but with your tests I guess you pretty much eliminated that.
I would have said something's up with the pinion and gear-set. With the helical gears, when under acceleration you're on one side of the teeth and while coasting you're on the other. Often a failing pinion bearing will produce acceleration vibration. But sounds like all of that has been replaced - twice?

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Good luck with contacting them. Let us know what happens and what it ends up being.

OP
OP
surfer-b

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did receive a call from customer service yesterday we discussed the problem, he said the same that you described Donk, about when in a straight line and all things equal there is nothing engaged in the tru trac, its just basically riding on the carrier bearings. So this pretty much eliminates that.

Did you try the different driveshaft alone by any chance? Just your pumpkin and your 74's driveshaft?

I had a brand new d-shaft built. I couldn't use the one from my 74 it has an OD tranny and its too short.

Often a failing pinion bearing will produce acceleration vibration. But sounds like all of that has been replaced - twice?

Correct, this is what I have always found also. Whatever it is, it's common, so it only leaves the case, I looked at it but not real close, I assume there is a possibility that it may have a hairline crack in it and when under a load it will give enough to allow things to be thrown off. I will tear into it tomorrow, I have a spare case and will prob just swap everything over and see what happens.

INPHOBIC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Kansas City, KS
Ever since Scott Frary left Eaton I have had zero luck with customer service. However I just installed my first ARB (used). Hands down the best customer service I have had anywhere. Anyway there is no visible crack in the pinion tip bearing support I assume. I have had that issue before. When you changed 3rd's you also have a different R&P so that still doesn't rule out anything. But short of swapping out the diff I don't know of another way to say 100% that it is the locker.