• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Detroit Electrac...Anyone running one?

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Thinking about a new front locker for a 44 and the Electrac looks pretty good. Limited slip and fully locked. I haven't heard much about them and thought someone here may have some insight. Thanks...

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I have one and it gets the job done. I rarely need to lock it, but it works flawlessly when I do. If you have a drop Trac-bar bracket you'll need to modify the Electrac's rock guard.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i've only had it out a couple of times and to be honest, i forgot to lock the front on a really hairy rocky uphill climb and it walked right up. the LS works very well. %)

Mr Joe is correct on the guard. i've got the bulletproof tro steering and the guard was too close for comfort. i need to fix it with the blue flame universal modification tool

OP
OP
thumping

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Thanks guys. I'm about 95% sure that I'm going with the Electrac. I like the idea that I will still have limited slip if for some reason the locker fails to lock. I'm sure that the OX and ARB are good lockers and I'm not knocking them by any means...just a matter of preference. Again, thanks.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
thumping said:
Thinking about a new front locker for a 44 and the Electrac looks pretty good. Limited slip and fully locked. I haven't heard much about them and thought someone here may have some insight. Thanks...
Not quite. The Electrac isn't ever fully locked. It is a limited sip with two levels of slippage. One that is normal and one that is tight. Neither one are the best option for driving on packed snow or ice.

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i hope to have mine out on the trails this week in the snow and will let you know how it handles. i know for sure the detroit in the rear makes it interesting even on flat ground. i do know i will never drive it on a snowy road and i've driven in the snow all my life. guess i need to build a set of chains ;)

OP
OP
thumping

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
According to http://www.reiderracing.com/electrac.htm it is an all gear unit that is limited slip and becomes fully locked when activated. Now that is what is claimed...I personally haven't been around one and that is why I was asking if anyone here was running it. Are they claiming it is something that it's not?
I'm not really concerned about snow and ice. We get very little ice and even less snow here in East Tn.

Anthony

Jeepeater

I wonder if thats why I had a hard time drivingin the snow last week. I took the bronco to work, so my wife could take the cheby 4x4. Im thinking I wouldn't have a problem in the snow with the bronco in 4x4. Well, It made it withought getting stuck at all, but It felt like it was sliding all over the place, even at 15-25mph. I have some traction device in back. Posi rear.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
thumping said:
According to http://www.reiderracing.com/electrac.htm it is an all gear unit that is limited slip and becomes fully locked when activated. Now that is what is claimed...I personally haven't been around one and that is why I was asking if anyone here was running it. Are they claiming it is something that it's not?
I'm not really concerned about snow and ice. We get very little ice and even less snow here in East Tn.

Anthony
I spouted off when I shouldn't have. I was going off what I was told when I was checking into using it myself so I don't know for certain whether it is locked or just a tight limited slip. I chose against it for other reasons anyway. Primarily because I broke the Detroit Locker I had before and was told that the regular Detroit Locker is stronger than the Electrac by the techs that I asked about it. For strength all of them I talked to suggested the ARB. One of them also suggested the OX.

OP
OP
thumping

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
Thanks Saddleup, that's the type of information I'm looking for. I'll probably give Reider and mabe Randy's ring and Pinion a call. I was hoping that someone here was running one (preferrable hard) and could give some insight. I have seen a Detroit come apart before (Laddle at wheeling in the Country) but the boy has a heavy foot and usually a big smile ;D the whole time he's pounding on it. Of course he is a crowd pleaseure :eek:

Anthony

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
Jeepeater said:
I wonder if thats why I had a hard time drivingin the snow last week. I took the bronco to work, so my wife could take the cheby 4x4. Im thinking I wouldn't have a problem in the snow with the bronco in 4x4. Well, It made it withought getting stuck at all, but It felt like it was sliding all over the place, even at 15-25mph. I have some traction device in back. Posi rear.

while backing up in my driveway where it has a slight crown, the back end just slid sideways. i can't imagine what a bit of speed and a slippery corner would be like. i know the back end is a bit squirly when the roads are really wet and i get a happy right foot. this is my first season with a locker so i need to learn the feel. i've only ever driven open diff vehicles so this is all new to me

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
I know there are a few guys here that put a beating on their electrac. When I bought mine almost two years ago, I talked to several people running large tires and they all said it has held up fine, and as far as I know still has. To bad mine is still sitting on the garage floor. Maybe this year I'll find time to install it.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
thumping said:
Thanks Saddleup, that's the type of information I'm looking for. I'll probably give Reider and mabe Randy's ring and Pinion a call. I was hoping that someone here was running one (preferrable hard) and could give some insight. I have seen a Detroit come apart before (Laddle at wheeling in the Country) but the boy has a heavy foot and usually a big smile ;D the whole time he's pounding on it. Of course he is a crowd pleaseure :eek:

Anthony
Randy's is one of the ones that I talked to. I've been known to push mine a bit however I try finesse first usually. My brother (SecondChance) busted one as well in the rear but he was hammering on it pretty hard at the time. I think he caught about 3 feet of air with the back end before it came down and broke. It was only the second or third trip out for him on a brand new unit.

carnage351

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Not to Hijack this post, but has anyone looked into or run the Eaton ELocker.

The make them for the 44, cheaper than the Detroit Electrac, and you don't have to replace the front cover.

They are fully open when disengaged, unlike the Detroit, but I kindof like that better.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
So Mr P Trac

What Is The Best To Use On Snow And Ice ...
Mine Is Usually Mud ..or Just Loose Rock On A Hunting Trip
..which One Do I Need We Have A Little 2 Or 3 Spells Of Ice A Year....
Papitt

david heater

Loc.
Westminster,Co
SaddleUp said:
BTW, GJBroncoMan runs an Electrac that he's had out at MOAB several times and he says it works well.

I can Say I have been up with Steve (GJBroncoMan) and he has never had a problem. He is not affraid to get after it either.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
PAPITT said:
What Is The Best To Use On Snow And Ice ...
Mine Is Usually Mud ..or Just Loose Rock On A Hunting Trip
..which One Do I Need We Have A Little 2 Or 3 Spells Of Ice A Year....
Papitt
For packed snow and ice an open carrier works best. Lockers and limited slip units both have a tendacy to slip around. Limited slips depend largely on how tight of a limited slip unit that it is. For a rig that needs to be driven on ice sometimes and still needs the extra traction of a locker on the trails then a selectable locker that is an open carrier when it's unlocked is the best choice. The one that is used the most often is the ARB because it has proven to be a strong and reliable unit that meets these requirements. That isn't to say it is the only option though that will work well.

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
david heater said:
I can Say I have been up with Steve (GJBroncoMan) and he has never had a problem. He is not affraid to get after it either.
;D

Yep, I bought one of the first Electracs for the D44. I've beat the snot out of it (and the rest of the Bronco %) ) for three years now and have not broken the locker. It is a geared LS when unlocked, and when locked it's locked solid just like an OX or ARB.

There are lots of other threads here about the pros/cons of ARBs, OXs and Electracs. Do a search and you'll find lots more info.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions since I travel a LOT for business and don't get to check here that often.

Steve

komodo72

Loc.
Tennessee
Decided on the locker yet? Maybe we can have a front locker install party before the run in May, that is if I can get the bronco up there in time. Mine has been sitting in the garage for a year to long.