• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

diagnosis help

jlylec

Just looking for some thoughts on what/how to check my engine that has decided not to start today. Drove her yesterday and she's been running great. Carbureted 351w with HEI dizzy and about 1500 miles. Started and ran fine yesterday. Drove home after a quick thunder storm and parked in the garage. This morning she just won't fire. Turns over well and strong. Fuel pump is engaged and pumping fuel because I can smell it (although I guess I should check at the carb?). Just trying to learn the best way to determine the issue now. No spark? I've seen guys stick a screwdriver in a plug wire to check for spark but I'm nervous about shocking myself. Any trick to that? Thanks for any help or ideas you guys may have!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
You could shock yourself....but it won't hurt that had, haha.

Yup you can use the screwdriver trick. Maybe lay it near the header tube. Let it get a little darker out so you can see the spark.

You probably got some water inside your distributor cap.
Pop it off without letting any wires come off and try drying it out.
If you really have no spark it may just be your module. Take yours off your distributor and take it into a parts store to be sure you get the right one.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

Unless I did the screwdriver trick wrong it looks like I don't have spark. 12.7 volts on the battery still and I pulled the fuel line at the carb and its pumping gas when pump engaged. Must be no spark. Checked the distributor cap and it was dry. Maybe the module just died. Maybe this is my nudge to go ahead and install the affordable fuel injection throttle body injector kit I have!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Unless I did the screwdriver trick wrong it looks like I don't have spark. 12.7 volts on the battery still and I pulled the fuel line at the carb and its pumping gas when pump engaged. Must be no spark. Checked the distributor cap and it was dry. Maybe the module just died. Maybe this is my nudge to go ahead and install the affordable fuel injection throttle body injector kit I have!

No! don't replace anything till you get it running.
Be certain, really certain, you don't have a wet distributor. Pull the cap, wipe it out, and leave it off for a while to make sure.;)

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... Some of you Guys might not know this ... But to dry the DIST. Cap out you can spray the inside of it with ... Either ... Now after you've sprayed either in it.. MAKE REALL SURE IT DRY BEFORE YOU PUT IT BACK ON.. OR They can blow off.. Now that's funny.
.... WD40 used to work but not today they've changed the formula.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

I was able to pick up a new coil and module today for like $50 so I'm going to try replacing those tonight. Wish me luck!

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Q-jets have that small fuel filter in the carb inlet. Check it. It will go from running great to nothing real quick if that clogs. I keep a couple in the glove box.

OP
OP
J

jlylec

It was just a bad control module! Didn't even mess with the coil so I can return that. No idea why that went bad in like 1,000 miles but for $30 I'm picking up a spare when I take this coil back!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
It was just a bad control module! Didn't even mess with the coil so I can return that. No idea why that went bad in like 1,000 miles but for $30 I'm picking up a spare when I take this coil back!

You're welcome.
Now get a spare module and throw it in the glove box. They die at the most inconvenient times....lol

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
FYI, you can also get an inline tool to connect between the spark plug and plug wire. It lights up when there is spark. Kinda handy for all kinds of things like the Bronco, lawn mower...anything else that won't start and you want to know if it has spark.