• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

did I break my new third member?

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

I was thinking the axle tube could be tweaked. But the axles slid right in when I installed them. I will try the retainer plate idea after work. Thanks for your input.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I was thinking the axle tube could be tweaked. But the axles slid right in when I installed them. I will try the retainer plate idea after work. Thanks for your input.

Are the axles an upgrade, or were they in there before the new third member?

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

They are new 31 spline axles to go with the new chunk.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
Big bearing axle or small bearing????....did u get the shafts from jbg as well

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
So they are yukons as well......did the shaft that will not turn did it go in easy....have u tried taking the pinion nut off and tapping the yoke towards the front of the bronc....at least doing that should tell u if its bound up at that spot....I'm wondering if its not a locker issue

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

They both went in pretty easy. I didn't have to bfh them or hammer the races in or anything. When I put the yoke on I did have to wack that on with a piece of wood that happened to be under the bronco with me. Also, I used a pipe wrench and a big half inch torque wrench to tighten the pinion nut. Initially I tried just tightening it by holding the brakes and blocking the tires. I'll take it off and see if it spins tonight.

stlo

Bronco Guru
Loc.
tulsa
I opted the same as u for mine to show up without a yoke on it.....I to put a pipe wrench on the yoke and tightened the nut....but I didn't tighten this piss out of it....I'm just thinking if u will back that nut off and tap the yoke like your taking it off that it might be the easiest to start with when u get home.....I've went through 2 sets of there shafts since this time last year ..... I had Dutchman axles make me a set which I just got in last nite...but if u got the yukons they will have a warranty

MarkH@Wildhorse

Contributor
Loc.
Stockton, CA
To me, it's sounding like the gear setup might be bad or the pinion is locked.
I'd pull the 3rd and put it on a bench and see if you can spin it then.
If it did have a crush sleeve, you could of over tightened it and locked the pinion in there.
Crush sleeves start to crush at a really high torque number, I've seen 300-600lbs before but once they start crushing or are crushed, they go very easily.

OP
OP
btimm

btimm

So I went home and spun the axles with no tires and they rotated fine... I don't know what the hell changed while I was at work. I guess I just thought hard enough and the bronco gods did some divine things and made it all better. It drives fine now, and I am enjoying barking 37s. Sorry for wasting ya'lls time. Btw does anyone know where to buy those little accordion type axle breathers that expand when the diff heats up? I'd rather not have another tube hanging down.