• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

differential suggestions

Hoofprint

Loc.
Central VA
I'm looking for suggestions for front and rear diffs. I don't think I want to go with a locker because it will be driven on the road as much as off. So I think I want limited slips front and back. What do you think is the best choice for durability and function?

Loc.
Speedwell TN
i got a detriot soft locker in the rear and really enjoy it. cant tell its there when i am on the road but big difference offroad. got a truetrac up front. 4:11's. central va shouldnt get tons of snow.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
I have a Detroit Soft Locker in my Bronco and it is great on the street. I really never notice it unless I drive the Bronco really hard. Go with a locker, they are better in general.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D I would say go with a locker in the rear and t/track in front the locker wont give you problems if you dont get into it to hard and you dont have to mess with them good luck with your choice. :p :p :p Bill 8) ::) :p

randall

i run a detroit in the rear also and i totally agree, unless you really get on it and are really agressive you wont even be able to tell its there, but as soon as you go offroad you will be blown away by how much more is possible. Detroit is the only way to go!!!!!!<br>

YellowBronc

Bronco God
I just put in a detroit in the rear and as far as streetability.......I hardly notice. I probably wouldn't have noticed anything at all except that I was looking for a difference. Like everyone else says, you won't notice it unless you get on and off the go pedal quickly in a corner. I have yet to try it off road. Still looking forward to it.... if and when I get a chance.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Concur with the above- Detroit in the 9" is dollar-for-dollar the best investment in traction/off-roadability you can make. TruTrac is a good one up front, although with money no object the OXlocker is the best of both worlds.<br><br>What part of Virginia are you in?

OP
OP
H

Hoofprint

Loc.
Central VA
Thanks for the replies, you all have helped me decide. 4byford I'm in Orange County, about 45 min. or so SW of Quantico.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Hoofprint, <br>Orange Co. is really nice country, I drove through it on the way out here. This rain should help your drought problem!<br><br>If you know of any good trails in the area or places to wheel (G. Washington nat'l forest?), I would appreciate the info.... Let me know when you take the new diffs out for a test run!<br><br>Being a westerner, I miss the public lands for wheeling.... I am having BLM withdrawals. (that's Bureau of Land Management- i.e. public lands)<br><br>4byford

OP
OP
H

Hoofprint

Loc.
Central VA
Yeah, there's some fun stuff in Madison County, Blakey Ridge and surrounding territory. It's a good day out, but don't expect Tellico. I like the trails at Rocky Run out west of Harrisonburg better, but Madison is much closer. Maybe we can hook up sometime if I ever get this thing back together.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
Hoofprint, <br>That sounds great; I would be very interested. Let 's stay in touch- What all do you have to do to get it up and running?

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
check out the electric lockers that are out. They work like an ARB without the need for air. I'm not sure if the ox lockers are still available.

4byford

Loc.
Yucca Valley CA
The OX lockers are still available, just not through their original primary retailer. OX is working on a 9" version also.<br>The electric lockers sound good, but for the same money I would prefer the mechanical (cable) actuation. It seems to me to be a more trouble free system; I don't like anything electrical below the turn signal lights on a 4WD- mud, water, debris can be hell on wiring...<br>The OX has been out for a while and field tested; my opinion may change after they have been on the market and abused for a year or so.<br>Remember we are talking about $700-900 in either case; for the cost of one of the selectables you can put detroits front and rear.... food for thought.