• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dirt Everyday - Dave Chapelle's '66

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
Does anyone else here watch Dirt Everyday on MotorTrend?

I just watched the new season and saw the episode with Dave Chapelle's 66. It's a pretty good looking bronco. I was thinking about the axles and locker set up. That's basically what I wanted to do to my original bronco but haven't decide yet. Next phase I reckon.

Attachments

• 1920.jpg
    1920.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 341

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
That's somewhat how the 66 u15 that I'm piddling with right now will turn out. Previous owner built this hideous spare tire/jerry can rack for the rear. I've got a PTO winch for the front. Working on the floors now, already put a set of 16" skinnies on it, and put the 3sp back up on the column. May go to more aggressive tread, we'll see how it rides first lol.

20170715_093153_zpsyd7pe0uc.jpg

20170715_093141_zpsmwrzcqrt.jpg

20180827_201246_zps0vfzzinb.jpg

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
That's somewhat how the 66 u15 that I'm piddling with right now will turn out. Previous owner built this hideous spare tire/jerry can rack for the rear. I've got a PTO winch for the front. Working on the floors now, already put a set of 16" skinnies on it, and put the 3sp back up on the column. May go to more aggressive tread, we'll see how it rides first lol.

20170715_093153_zpsyd7pe0uc.jpg

20170715_093141_zpsmwrzcqrt.jpg

20180827_201246_zps0vfzzinb.jpg

Hey okie nice bronco what did you do with that rear bumper?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The axle work they did is rather odd. For the 35 spline upgrade they must have some big plans for it. And the 4.11 gears, well they replaced the gearing and didn't go any lower. Again, there has to be a bigger plan or they did a horrible job picking parts.

As for putting 35 spline axles in a stock housing, I feel they did it wrong. The stock housing is OK. That is if you have normal size tires, normal power, which only needs 31 spline to be happy forever. For the 35 spline axles they really should have been looking at an aftermarket housing. At which point you are not stuck running stock bearing options. They could have spent money more wisely.

Nothing Special

.... They could have spent money more wisely.

Yeah, but since when did "spend money wisely" and "Dirt Every Day" go together?

It's a fun show, and both of those guys know what they're doing. But like "Roadkill", they seem to think (and they're probably right) that their shows are better received when they fail. Doing things fast and with little forethought makes it more entertaining.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It's true, if they built the rigs perfect and nothing went wrong, it would be boring. But they generally spend money a little smarter.

OP
OP
green61bug

green61bug

Contributor
Loc.
Greensboro
I don't know enough about the axles and housings to know whats exactly right or wrong. I just really like the idea of beefing everything up, adding lockers and keeping it looking basically stock.