• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Disc Brakes on drum hubs.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I read through the thread listed above. I'm not keen on adding a 1/8" spacer on the hub, but do see a potential solution. Carefully Remove the hub cup from the Chevy spindles, and mount as follows from the knuckle out: 1) Caliper Bracket (cup removed) 2) spindle 3) hub cup 4) six spindle bolts. Anyone know the thickness of the caliper brackets?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I believe the caliper brackets are 1/4" thick. You might be onto another option. Probably dont really even have to reinstall the sheetmetal cup.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
I believe the caliper brackets are 1/4" thick. You might be onto another option. Probably dont really even have to reinstall the sheetmetal cup.

I was thinking the same about the cup, but figured some might want to keep it.

If this works, the conversion would be:
$140 New Brackets
$60 New Rotors
$70 New Calipers
$30 New front hoses

Total cost new, $300 An affordable swap taking a different approach. Time to prove it out, and confirm a few things......

brewchief

I read through the thread listed above. I'm not keen on adding a 1/8" spacer on the hub, but do see a potential solution. Carefully Remove the hub cup from the Chevy spindles, and mount as follows from the knuckle out: 1) Caliper Bracket (cup removed) 2) spindle 3) hub cup 4) six spindle bolts. Anyone know the thickness of the caliper brackets?

Will the spindle have enough length to register in the knuckle hole?
Is the hole in the brake bracket large enough for the spindle to fit through?
Will the caliper clear the knuckle? Already have to grind a bit.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Will the spindle have enough length to register in the knuckle hole?
Is the hole in the brake bracket large enough for the spindle to fit through?
Will the caliper clear the knuckle? Already have to grind a bit.

These are the things I will be dealing with. The bracket may need to be opened up, but I'm pretty sure the spindle spindle has the depth required to penetrate the knuckle. I'll be taking action in a couple of weeks

Rickb1b

It's been a while since I did this conversion so I can't really remember all the details. But if I remember right, there is some grinding required to get enough clearance between the caliper and the knuckle. If you install the bracket first, followed by the spindle, you are essentially moving the bracket/caliper further inboard. I don't think there will be enough room between the knuckle and caliper.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
It's been a while since I did this conversion so I can't really remember all the details. But if I remember right, there is some grinding required to get enough clearance between the caliper and the knuckle. If you install the bracket first, followed by the spindle, you are essentially moving the bracket/caliper further inboard. I don't think there will be enough room between the knuckle and caliper.

Thanks for sharing that. I will check, and also look into rotor over hub as well. That would require longer studs.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Thanks for sharing that. I will check, and also look into rotor over hub as well. That would require longer studs.

Wilwood replacement GM calipers are smaller and do not typically require knuckle grinding.

So even if you move the caliper back you may not need to grind the knuckle or if you do only a little.

Wilwood caliper is prolly expensive but is prolly a great product though.