• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

disk brake conversion for 68

dougs68inma

Loc.
melrose
Like the title says - what's the best and cheapest way to go about it. I know I can buy the whole set up through Wild Horses, etc., but how about converting from salvage parts? Any good articles on this subject?
Thanks,

Doug

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Doug,
Your post does not state if you run a Dana 30 or 44. I'm guessinging a D30 w/ a vinatge '68. If you do upgrade to a D44, the brake parts will fit.
A Dana 30 conversion using the Chevy spindles has worked great for me. The spindles are not cheap but worth it for the cost of tracking down salvage yard parts that may not have a true machine surface.
I also like the fact that you can go to AutoZone and purchase new calipers, lines and rotors.
I saved up my money and added the power brake booster/bracket and prop vavle at the same time. The feel of power brakes behind the wheel is worth the cost!
There is plenty of information on this conversion on this website and in Bronco Driver. Some write-ups also have the bearing and seal part numbers that you will need.