• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

distributor cap arcing like a friggin telsa coil?

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
yeah.

just finished my rewire from scratch. amazingly all system functions seems to work fine. so i went to the next step which was to turn the engine over with the spark plug wires off and plugs out. well the distributor cap lights up like a christmas tree on the outside when i turn the key over. arcs all over the cap surface. Any ideas?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Without wires and plugs that high voltage has to find it's own way to get to ground.

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
the wires are in it. i swapped the cap thinking it might be cracked, now it is arcing at the coil. from the cable randomly to either terminal.

chuzie

Bronco Guru
that's a neat trick. how bout u turn off the lights and hook us up with some video?

OP
OP
K

kaisermusic

Loc.
Chehalis WA
haha i almost did!

anyway i think i fixed it viper. put all the wires back on the plugs and all went away, sorry for the false alarm. about to fire this thing up for the first time in five years...wish me luck.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Some dielectric grease on the plug boots and help prevent future arcing.

Sporto

How many people know what a Tesla coil is? I had one, in 1969. I wonder where it went.

Tesla coil...Hmmmm...That's a toughie...

Didn't Accel make those in the 80's, a big yellow brick of a coil that would fit on your fender and do nothing more than a stock coil did? :p

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We used to have LOTS of fun back in the day with a Model T spark box with some "D" batteries taped to it.

They aren't as easy to find now though...:mad:

fuzzy2133

Loc.
San Jose, CA
1998 8th grade science teacher had one in class. "Playing" was not allowed; studying effects was. The teacher was nice enough to get all 30 students in a line and shocked the person at the other end.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Tesla coil...Hmmmm...That's a toughie...

Didn't Accel make those in the 80's, a big yellow brick of a coil that would fit on your fender and do nothing more than a stock coil did? :p

Come on now, my stock 302 wouldn't be anywhere close to the 100hp that it has, if it weren't for my Accel Super Coil. :p

Attachments

• Accell super coil.jpg
    Accell super coil.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 16

Sporto

Come on now, my stock 302 wouldn't be anywhere close to the 100hp that it has, if it weren't for my Accel Super Coil. :p

Can you close the hood with that coil? I am assuming you have a hood scoop for it. Right? :D