• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Distributor help procomp

jakeperry

Loc.
lake providence
I think I m be180 degrees off.

What I did
Installing procomp66969b distributor. 302 stock.
Ok I turned the motor over w the #1 plug removed. I felt pressure and was at ten degrees. Of tdc. The marking was 10 -0 - 10. I was on the ten to the right of the 0 looking from straight down. ( I read this was right.)

Removed distributor and the skinny part of the rotor was pointing at 6-7 cylinder (I marked the top of the motor)

I reinstalled new distributor with the skinny part of the rotor pointing as close to the mark as possible.

Installed new plugs and new wires ( wires for this distributor come out of a 75 v8 camero fyi). I gauged new plugs at .35.

She will turn over but that's it. I got one back fire. And it just doesn't sound right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jakeperry

jakeperry

Loc.
lake providence
Oh yeah I ran the wires starting at the pointy end of the rotor I ran it to number 1 then proceeded along the proper firing order

DJs74

Bronco Guru
When installing the distributor, use #1 cylinder - bring piston to TDC which is the piston at the top of the cylinder bore, both the intake and exhaust valves being closed. Then install your distributor so the rotor button contact (what you refer to as the "skinny part") is directly under the #1 spark plug wire contact on the distributor cap.

Once this is done, you'll be very close but may need to rotate the distributor one way or the other to find the magic spot for it to fire, make sure you have enough slack in your plug wires so you are able to rotate the distributor both ways a little bit for adjustment purposes.
Once it starts, you can go through your normal procedure to set your timing.

DJs74

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, I think you did it right. I don't think you are 180 off. But, you may be one tooth off. At TDC the rotor should point more or less at #6 cylinder, or at the drivers side (left) of the carb. 180 out and the rotor would point at the thermostat. Check out a firing order diagram. I would get the engine up to TDC on the balancer, actually a little before TDC is good . Verify the rotor is pointing near #6 cylinder (not 180 out) and put a sharpie mark on the distributor housing under the #1 plug wire. Pop the cap and make sure the rotor is not too far left or right of the sharpie mark. If it is not pointing right at the sharpie mark you are one tooth off. Don't forget the rotor spins as you lower it into the block. You do not have to remove the distributor to move it one tooth. Just take off the hold down and gently lift the distributor while turning the rotor and when the gear disengages the rotor will go (hopefully) one tooth over. After your distributor is installed with the rotor pointing exactly at the #1 wire on the cap I would check the firing order again, and start the motor. You will have to set the timing by ear or with a timing light. I would open up the spark plug gap to .040 or .045. Good luck

DJs74

Bronco Guru
Iithank you guys for the advice I'll be back in the shop in a couple hours!

When you get back to working on it, priority one for the initial distributor install is making sure you are at TDC (#1 piston at the very-most top of the bore and both valves closed). Try to put which cylinder the rotor button is pointing at out of your mind for the initial distributor setting - it is not relevant or important and is just a coincidental result of where the #1 plug wire on the distributor cap happens to be when the motor is at TDC.
The contact patch between the rotor button and the contact in the cap is a pretty small window so you'll be more accurate from scratch by indexing things with respect to each other at the distributor.

DJs74