• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Distributorless Ignition System

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Saw it at SEMA a few years back. Looks interesting. Trouble is you still have the stack up of clearances like a stock distributer. Trigger should really be off the crankshaft.

There are ways of doing it with an EEC system utailzing and EDIS8 module off an early mod motor. Crank trigger and cam sensor from an Explorer and an aftermarket chip to turn on the EDIS feature inside the EEC. Instead of $600 for a distributer you can't do much with you can use a bunch of factory parts and get a custom chip that can do all kinds of neat things.

While the idea of a drop in DIS system is neat and someone made one work. I feel the price is too high for the needs of a Bronco. They are listing spark energy levels out to 12,000 RPM. Most of us will rarely (if ever) see have of that.

shonivey

4 grand for me. ebay HEI for around 70 to my door does the trick. My biggest problem is the carb is as big as the motor. gotta step, it down a little.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I like it myself. Simple and elegant. No more cap and rotor to change or have problems with. No issues with water intrusion. Shorter path for the wire-to-plug relationship. Possibly cleaner wire routing (except for the whacko wire sticking straight out the top that is), and, I'm guessing, a better quality spark throughout the rpm range. 10,000 rpm notwithstanding.
Yes, it's still got some of the foibles of a regular distributor, with potential errors from timing chain and gear wear, but it's another step in the right direction.
Or it's just cool and it'd be fun to do it, just for the heck of it. With a spare $600 anyway.
So not for me just yet, but I can't wait to hear what someone who tries it on their Bronco has to say.

Hey bowsher, what do you have do to to get the Ford system to work? Are you saying that there's an easier way than trying to make a late-model Explorer's setup work?
I've seen a couple here (like Lars and a couple of others), but most say it's a lot of trouble.
Is there a simpler way to go Ford? And is it a completely different computer than our standard A9L's and such?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and I like the automatic shut-off feature too. Something that would have come in handy for many of us in the past!

Paul

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>>> I've been looking at the Megajolt lite jr. to go distributorless on my carbed 5.0/302.... it's for use with the earlier ford EDIS modules... & it looks real doable since I already have the crank trigger wheel setup on the explorer/mountaineer dampener......http://www.autosportlabs.com/megajolt-lite-p-41.html?mjlj_buy_now=..there's also a build yourself kit for $89.95.http://www.autosportlabs.com/megajolt-lite-build-yourself-p-39.html ..​
463px-Megajolt_system.jpg

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Both very interesting. I'm going to have an Explorer damper/tone ring too, so would love to play around with something along those lines as well.
Hey, it's only money, right?

Paul

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
>>>>> I've been looking at the Megajolt lite jr. to go distributorless on my carbed 5.0/302.... it's for use with the earlier ford EDIS modules... & it looks real doable since I already have the crank trigger wheel setup on the explorer/mountaineer dampener......

That looks pretty slick. You'd need to keep the distributor or better yet install an Explorer 5.0 cam position sensor, since the dizzy/cps also drives the oil pump, but you wouldn't need to hook it up electronically.

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>>> yeah, I forgot & left out the little detail of still needing something to drive the oil pump..... & definetly planned on using the explorer camshaft position sensor assembly instead of leaving the distributor in place....​
edis-spout.jpg

mattt

Bronco Guru
Has anyone done this sort of conversion on a 351w? Since the Exploder sensor won't work on a 351, that seems to be the hang up. I'd love to setup a system like this on the new 351w.

One other question.....can this type of ignition work with an 89-93 Mustang ECU?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Price motorsports sells a 351W cam postion sensor
My understanding is it can work with some of the A9 computers. There were internal changes over the years but the programming stayed the same. If you have a newer build computer and a chip to unlock the EDIS function then it can work. I looked into it several years ago but didn't do it when I did the last 5.0 swap. I still have a bunch (but not all) of parts that never got installed. Figured chasing normal fresh engine and EFI swap related issues would be enough of a challenge to start with. Adding EDIS would have been just a little more of an unknown then I would want to deal with.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I know of someone who made a cam position sensor for a 351W by grafting a 351W (5.8) TFI distributor to a 5.0 Explorer cam position sensor. I have not seen it in the flesh but the pix looked good. It was done by a machinist with a lathe and a TIG welder.