• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DIY paint job questions

rudy16

I am going to try to paint my bronco myself. I am going to start with my 76 Highboy to work the bugs out if worse comes to worse with that I ll just line-x it if looks bad. Then Ill know if I can move on too my bronco. My question is if I put multiple coats of my base color in light coats avoiding runs but enough layers to avoid orange peel I should be able to block sand it until I get everything smooth. Will this work? I know it will be a lot of work, but I think that if I evenly wet sand everything I can make it turn out fairly good am I wrong. Am I diving in too deep? Any help from experienced painters would be appreciated. I am looking at paint guns and am willing to spend around 300 what are some things I should be looking for. Also is there a sort of starter kit I can purchase that has all the sanding blocks, papers , tools etc or do I need to pick them up seperately. thanks for any help.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
Here is a good place to start reading: http://www.autobody101.com/ Most of your questions will be answered there. You can pick up a gun for a lot less than $300. Prep work is the key to any paint job.
Edit: Find your local auto paint supplier. They will be a big help to you.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
The basecoat isn't hard at all to spray. I would recommend spraying a sealer before applying base. I use a SATA Jet 3000 HVLP spray gun with a 1.4 needle and head. There is good guns for cheaper though. Talk with your paint supplier and get some ideas.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Base coat is best sprayed on the wet side not light or dry. Orange peel is caused by improper air pressure, too large of cap and needle set, too fast of a reducer, or improper viscosity. You should avoid wet sanding the base coat if possible. You can de-nib it but make sure to apply more base over it. Especially a metallic.
Devilbis has decent guns in the $300 range. No matter what gun you get make sure it has a 1.3 tip. Smaller tips along with a quaility gun will at atomize and spray better than a cheap gun. I said in another post a while back I was going to do a spray gun shootout but haven't had time at work.
SATA's are very nice guns but they are $$$$. I think my last gun a SATA RP3000 1.3 tip was almost $500 my price. Awesome clear gun though.

Another decent reference.... http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/e...les/Reference/Trouble Shooting Guide/tsg.ashx