• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do I need an external tranny cooler?

jcb9089

As I'm finishing up this build, a lot of details need to be ironed out and of course the money is adding up. This will not be a crawler and rarely see off road.

Do I need an external tranny cooler or is the internal transmission cooler in the radiator fine? Thanks!

Rebuilt 351 with a rebuilt c4
4:10 gears and 35" tires
Explorer 6 cyl radiator with trans cooler

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Since you have 4.11s I'd say you're good without adding an aux cooler. It would be different if you were trying to roll those 35s with 3.50s. Add the aux cooler if you start pulling a trailer or start crawling.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
best to install a trans temp gauge and see if what you're currently running is keeping the C4 cool. always good to have a temp gauge for both engine and trans.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It will be fine. No crawling and rarely offroad helps. You have decent gearing for the tire size. Will you have perfect, labratory grade conditions? No you won't. But you don't need it. The C4 is a good trans that works even if things are not absolutly perfect. What you have will be fine, don't worry about it and just drive it.

OP
OP
jcb9089

jcb9089

That's good news, I really didn't want to drop another couple hundred in a trans cooler. Thanks!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
it will be fine. No crawling and rarely offroad helps. You have decent gearing for the tire size. Will you have perfect, labratory grade conditions? No you won't. But you don't need it. The c4 is a good trans that works even if things are not absolutly perfect. What you have will be fine, don't worry about it and just drive it.

x2............

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Derale makes some affordable coolers if you need it later on. I got one for my PS pump. Can be used for transmission coolers as well. My application was needed for the 37s I once had. Now with 33s it runs just fine with my 351. My trans lines go to a 3 core Champion radiator with a 190 degree.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Knowing the temp wouldn't be a bad idea... Heat is the #1 death of an auto-