• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do you know what...

schwarz

Loc.
Laredo, Texas
Does anyone know what i can do to make my bronco not flip as easily? i have only heard that this is true, but i dont want to take any chanses of losing my baby. any help would be good because i am new to owning my bronco. i plan to use my bronco as my daily driver, but i also want to use it off road, ... and maybe a lil mudding, (if that makes a diffrence in what i should do to it).

thanks

Last edited:

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Just messin wit ya.

There are a few reasons they roll over. They are short, they are narrow, and some people just can't drive. Extending the wheelbase will help, widening the track front and rear will help. keeping it only as high as it NEEDS TO BE will really help. You just hang in ther untill tomorrow when we have some members on and these guys will help you right out !

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Loc.
Laredo, Texas
about the hight of my bronco, the previous owner had put a 3 inch lift on it, but instead of doing it all springs, he had put blocks in the back, and i decided i was going to see how it looks and drives, at stock hight, with 31 inch tires ( right now i am talking to someone about the stock front springs). plus i think it would look better with big-ish tires (35 inch) that are tucked up under the body.

GoFastCrackPipe

Loc.
Salem area
Welcom to the site!
If your fenders are not cut, than you will have a hard time fitting 35's with no lift. Even with a small lift (2.5" or so) 35's might not fit without rubbibg. As for being tippy, I'm running 5.5" of lift with 37" tires and it is very stable... for a short wheelbase truck. These things will never handle like a car but if you drive with a little caution and don't try to take corners like Michael Schumacher you should be ok.
Also, as 2Bad said, try to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. I went to a 5.5" lift for clearance of both my tires and obstacles on the trails, but I don't use a hard top or the stock doors so that was a little over 200lbs taken off of the top end.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D #1 drive safe and sane (very hard to do) keep lift as low as you can you should not go over 32 or 33" tires. No mickey mouse parts on your toy.(lift blocks ect) And you should not have any problems good luck and have fun. :p :p :p Bill :cool: %) :p

4xfloored

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Bernardino
I would make sure all the steering is dialed in ( alignment , ball joints loose bolts to steering box, ect...) , like Bill said, 32-33 '' tires, and maybe look into Quality Wheel spacers, like the ones BC's sells, so you can widden the stance for more stability.... stay with a little of lift as poss.
Good luck, Milo

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Loc.
Laredo, Texas
wait, i though wider tires and rims would make my bronco a little bit wider, and would make it more stable.

Last edited:

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
keep it low, take as much weight off the top end as possible (no cage, no top, no doors) will lower your COG. Longer wheelbase and wider track will also help support your bronco.

i've rolled doing 45 on city streets (brakes locked, got sideways, etc). it wasn't i was driving oddly or recklessly. I was driving like i had been for the 3 years she'd been like that without any mishaps or scares. this time, something changed and it didn't go like i would have wanted.

basically, you don't want to roll?
cut the wheel tubs out, slam it half an inch off the ground and add a bunch of neons for weight underneath ;)

in all seriousness, just drive safe. but just in case have good seats and belts (3 point or better!) and at least a front cage tied to the frame. that's all i got to say on that....

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Drive sanely and keep the lift low. New bushings and Bilstein shocks also help. I am going to adapt a Wagoneer swaybar to the front end as soon as I get the rear spring swap done.

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Loc.
Laredo, Texas
A lil of topic, but still

i was thinking about puting in a set of carabeau cr1s in the front (& getting the material to cover the back seat), but then i was think about how it is going to be hard to get in to the back bench with a center console in the front. i would have to get front seat brackets that eather simple tilt (but would the seat hit the roof or front window?), or just slide forward alot, well enough to let a high schooler in the back. and if i do put in the cr1s in the front i would put in there 4-Point Bolt-In Harness.

Last edited:

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you tuck 35" tires up under the body then it isn't going to be very stable. To get the tires on is going to require lifting it yet the stance will still be about the same as stock. Mine is quite stable with 37" tires and 8 1/2" of total lift but I also run a wide rim (11") with less backspacing (2 1/2") which gets the tires out quite a ways. I'm also extended about 4" which also helps but the wider stance made the biggest difference. And yes, a wider tire will make it more stable assuming the stance is wider to go with it. If you get a deep backspacing on a wider tire so they will fit underneath then it will not be any more stable than it was before.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
schwarz said:
Does anyone know what i can do to make my bronco not flip as easily? i have only heard that this is true, but i dont want to take any chanses of losing my baby. any help would be good because i am new to owning my bronco. i plan to use my bronco as my daily driver, but i also want to use it off road, ... and maybe a lil mudding, (if that makes a diffrence in what i should do to it).

thanks

The concepts that keep cars from rolling over are to keep the center of gravity as low as possible. After that suspension that resists leaning, and being wider all help.
To keep the CG low, don't lift it, and don't add a lot of weight above the CG. The CG on stock EBs is about at the location of the transfer case. Try not to add weight above that point. I'd recommend against a lift kit. You can run 33 inch tires on a stock lift. I would upgrade to new stock height springs. The 76 and 77 EBs came with sway bars. That helps resist leaning in turns. Good shocks, good brakes and steering so you can better control and avoid problems.
Personally I think EBs probably are less likely to roll over than many other similar rigs. EBs are wider than Jeeps, and since they have heavier frames, heavier axles all that helps keep the CG lower. It also helps to keep less than 4 adults in it.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Be careful about using too much or too little backspacing as it can have adverse affects on tire wear. If you grossly exceed the scrub radius centerline, the tires are damned near impossible to turn.

OP
OP
S

schwarz

Loc.
Laredo, Texas
how would i ...

does anyone know how i can extend my axles, so there will be a longer wheel base on my ride. and if there is a semi-easy way to move the front axle (a way where it will be worth all the time and effort).

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
If you aren't going to rock crawl it, going full width and extending the wheelbase is a complete waste of time. There is no point in doing that.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
With respect, I think you are overworried about it and this is being overanalyzed.
If you aren't taking corners at 50mph and have a 3 1/2" suspension lift and 33's, then you aren't going to roll it - unless it's a freak accident and that's why you get a roll bar or stay with the hard top.

jim71

Loc.
Sprague MB
Trade your aluminum rims for some nice heavy steelies. Buy the heaviest rubber you can find to wrap them with. Mount stiff shocks as far outboard as you can as straight up and down as you can to limit body roll. Rip out your headliner, toss your sunvisors, heck - just toss the top. Buy some plate steel and bolt together a full skidplate - then weld it on. Then paint it. And undercoat it. Stuff some run-flats in your tires. Fold your windshield down. Slouch when you drive. Let some air out of the tires. Drop your drivetrain down a coupla inches. Attach links of chain all down your frame and bumpers that will drag near the ground. Leave transfer case in low gear.