• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do you need to allow for more fluid when running external coolers?

mofoco1

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, CA
I have asked this before and got a less than satisfactory answer, I have 2x 18" coolers one for the trans and the other for the powers steering. The trans cooler sits at level with the transmission, should I fill the cooler with fluid prior to running it or will there then be too much fluid in the system, the cooler holds about a quart. I was thinking it would create starvation if there was a void, No? Same with the PS cooler, but it obviously sits below the pump? Thanks again....Mo

Attachments

• .temp-2dfdfrgthykjk.jpg
    .temp-2dfdfrgthykjk.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 28

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It's low enough there shouldn't be any problem with it draining into the pan when not running. You don't have to fill it before the first startup. It will get filled before you get the trans filled completely.

patterdale

Bronco Guru
What Viper said plus yes. You have created and extra quart of capacity in your system so it will take another quart to be full. The trans will circulate the oil as quick as it begins turning.