• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Do you use the body mount with a body lift?

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
Is the polyurethane body mount needed when installing a body lift?

6677blkbdymntbshngs_zpsvcakpcsk.jpg

pma773bdylft_zpsvynmsl5f.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The rubber (or poly) bushings give a vibration isolation.
The body lift just adds space.

There was a body lift that was built into the bushings at one time. But I think it was only 1¼" of added height.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There was a body lift that was built into the bushings at one time. But I think it was only 1¼" of added height.

It's 1" of added height.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Custom_Body_Lift_Kit_1in
Stock installed is approx. 3/4" tall. Our mount installed is 1 3/4" tall.

Saves money over buying the two pieces, and likely even simplifies the install a little as well.
Traditionally, the regular phenolic resin body lift spacers were only available in 2" or 3" heights anyway, so our kit was the only game in town if you didn't want to go that high or didn't feel like cutting down a taller lift to the shorter height.
Probably more options these days, but this is still a great way to go.

Paul

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Inused the wh kit above. Excellent and uality and easy to install. Getting the old ones out is the hard part. I think the only thing inwould change if inwere wh is to make the diameter of the 1" integrated kit the same diameter as a standard body mount. They are a little smaller and at first glance look out of place. But i still think it is a quality product and buy one for every bronco i own

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...They are a little smaller and at first glance look out of place.

Interesting observation Crush. Never heard that (as far as I can remember anyway). I know they look smaller because they're taller, but I was under the impression they were patterned after the stock mounts originally. A new one at least... Not an old crushed one.;)

Maybe Jim can chime back in on that aspect. If anything, I would have liked to have seen them about 5/16 to 3/8" larger than original. Not for any performance reason (they've worked perfectly as is) but just the visual "beef" aspect and to fill the entire mount. But maybe some mounts have less wiggle room than others, so maybe that's not a good idea after all.
I've used re-purposed '78/'79 Bronco mounts before, to get about 3/4" of lift. They're actually too large in my opinion. Hang over the frame mounts and don't look quite right. So up to a point at least, narrower is better.

Paul

OP
OP
Prizefighter

Prizefighter

Bronco Guru
It's 1" of added height.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Custom_Body_Lift_Kit_1in
Stock installed is approx. 3/4" tall. Our mount installed is 1 3/4" tall.

Paul

I have this on my 77. Everyone needs new body mounts with 1" lift built in if running stock mounts.

Might want to consider some hardware upgrades if you haven't already. Just sayin :cool:
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Urethane_Body_mount_inserts_ea

Lots of good info here as well.
http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/Bronco_Body_Lifts

Jim

I didn't know about this, thanks Jim!

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi Guys,

I'm running the kit that DirtDonk/Paul mentioned and love it. It's been installed for 5 years or more with zero problems or movement and I've been hit twice. Once I was t-boned by a taxi under my drivers door post, no body mount movement at all. Once rear ended hard at 75mph on the 110 freeway near Dodger Stadium (hit and run) and there was zero movement. I would say that with my 66 when I installed the kit there was a bit of shimming required to level out the body from years and years of SoCal driving.

Good luck!
Chris

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
Hey paul. When i installed mine, i compared the mounts to the metal parts of the old mounts and they were a smaller diameter than the originals. I love the lift though. I think it was an excellent idea having body mounts 1" taller all in one piece. The size by no means detracts from the quality of the product. Every bronco i build will get one.