• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does a mustang serpentine setup work on early bronco

LEDCREATIONS

Loc.
Mesa, Arizona
Just a quick question. Does the mustang serp setup work on a early bronco or do I need to get an explorer serp setup?

Planning on using an electric fan as well. Wondering if I'll have clearance issues

FFMDX

Loc.
Roseville, CA
Short answer, yes it does. It is what I am running with an mech rev. rotation fan. I ended up moving my rad fwd for clearance, but if you are running an elect fan then you should be "OK". the explorer set up is desirable, but with that being said, unless you're lucky to find one in a junk yard, the prices vary from decent to ridiculous.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes it will (might) work, and yes you will (very) likely have issues with an electric fan. I say "might" because in the early days of these swaps, there were quite a few that had to move their radiator forward just for the serp swap. I just don't remember the details of which year or model car/truck they came from.

Even with the stock V-belt setup there is scant room for any decent electric fan, and most of the factory serp setups are either slightly better, or slightly worse. Most are slightly worse.

Hence the popularity of the Explorer setup, which is one of the very few that actually helps you gain some room up there.
The 94 and 95 V8 Mustang setups are very tidy and compact too, and should be within a gnat's you-know-what of the Explorer's specifications. Just depends on which one is easier to find.

Either one needs everything right down to the front timing cover, and you won't be able to use a mechanical fuel pump any longer, if that's what you still have.

Paul

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I moved my radiator forward so that it touches the core support and is isolated with high-temp adhesive silicone strips. That allowed me to run the Derale electric fan sold by WH, with the Mustang serpentine system. It is a good setup, but in hindsight the Explorer front dress would have been a better choice.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Depends on the junkyard and how many of the parts you actually pull with the assembly... but I've been hearing $200-500 with you pulling everything from the yard, including alternator, power steering pump, water pump, brackets, tensioner, idler pulley, timing cover, ac compressor, etc. Then there's the time you spend cleaning and painting, testing the parts, etc. Use that as your baseline for Explorer dress pricing.

BroncoMabry

There's a guy that sells cleaned up explorer setups in the classifieds on here. He has great reviews from what I've read. His ad reads explorer low cost option or something similar.

pbwcr

I run the Mustang 5.0 with stock Serp works fine. Minimal distance water pump to stock rad location. Power steering mount could be an issue depending on your install? My fan is a flex unit and the shroud is a highly modified plastic Ford unit. The shroud mod is to center the opening and make it wider and longer so is exactly fits the rad. My install uses a stock Mustang 5.0 serp and the stock copper rad in the stock location. I did a huge research effort on electric fans and came to the conclusion that unless one can fit an OEM unit the electric will never be as good as a plain old mechanical fan. Having said that an electric with two fans is a strong possibility whereby the nose of the water pump nests between the fans. Good luck finding such a fan setup. Look for a Spal fan unit because they make thin ones that move a lot of air.

OP
OP
LEDCREATIONS

LEDCREATIONS

Loc.
Mesa, Arizona
Well I picked up the explorer setup (complete) with new water pump and oil filter relocate today for 160 just in case. Great guy bought the explorer intake off him as well.