• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anybody recognize this UT bronco?

stpdhurts

Loc.
Havre, Montana
I recently traded a friend for this Bronco. He bought is around 2005 somewhere around Salt lake.

Attachments

• bronco.jpg
    bronco.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 233
OP
OP
stpdhurts

stpdhurts

Loc.
Havre, Montana
A 2003 KTM 450 EXC. The PO had a hard time getting it to UT highway standards and it had a bunch of small issues that made it unfriendly to drive. He never drove it so he never registered it. He got tired of storing it and everybody that came to look at it just wanted to cut it up for a crawler so he felt better about trading it to me. The wife and two kids fit in it way better than they did on the bike!

73BroncoRanger

A 2003 KTM 450 EXC. The PO had a hard time getting it to UT highway standards and it had a bunch of small issues that made it unfriendly to drive. He never drove it so he never registered it. He got tired of storing it and everybody that came to look at it just wanted to cut it up for a crawler so he felt better about trading it to me. The wife and two kids fit in it way better than they did on the bike!

wow what a wise trade, excellent for you :cool:

OP
OP
stpdhurts

stpdhurts

Loc.
Havre, Montana
So far I have fixed the door latches, rebuilt the heater, rebuilt the steering gearbox, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, corrected the plug wire order, hooked up the electric choke, set the timing, installed a thermostat, installed the rear fuel tank, fixed the headlight harness, installed a rearview mirror, bolted the passenger seat down, replaced the steering wheel, fixed the horn and ratchet strapped boosterseats with 4pt harnesses in for my girls (my wife doesnt think its legal but I'm pretty sure 2 ratchet straps are more secure than one lap belt%))

73BroncoRanger

... corrected the plug wire order...

I just did that today, 2&3 were reversed and had been for some time, it was popping out the carb sometimes which was why I even looked at the order, IDK what other motor would run so well with incorrect wires, none Ive ever seen

BTW why bolt down the passenger seat ? ;D

OP
OP
stpdhurts

stpdhurts

Loc.
Havre, Montana
I had a 300-6 that ran great then one day it died going down the road and wouldnt restart. Further inspection revealed the plug wires were wrong.

D1970

Loc.
Bakersfield
That's awesome .I traded my 05 ktm for my bronco a few years ago best trade I could have made

gnsteam

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lincoln NE
Very nice trade and welcome to the addiction. I see your located in Havre. I have a sister and brother in law who live in Havre, Dr. & Mrs. Lee Laeupple D.D.S. Great little town, I've been there a couple times. Also a great place for a Great Northern Railway fan like me!;D;D

OP
OP
stpdhurts

stpdhurts

Loc.
Havre, Montana
Havre is a nice town but there isnt much for 4x4 opportunities within 150 miles. The bronco has a LOT of rust. I am pretty sure it was cobbled together with a quick bondo queen paint job and sold fast. The left rear fender well is crushed into the floor and all the body welds are different than the other side, It must have taken a good hit. There are new floor pans welded in over the old ones with spray foam in between them. Any underbody rust looks to have been filled with spay foam, sculpted and painted.
I am mixed on what to do with it. It looks great from 100" but up close the body lines are off, rust is blistering under the paint, the drivers door sags and a ton of other problems. I would love to do the body work, but dont want to drive around a primered bronco. The first priority is dependability but parts are expensive, body work is cheap.

OP
OP
stpdhurts

stpdhurts

Loc.
Havre, Montana
It would be awsome if i ever get all the holes plugged, the hole in the tunnel for the 3 speed shifter blows right up my pant leg. On low it isn't too bad but on high it is deafening. The heater core was completely plugged so I put a gm blower motor in while I was at it

motoman

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
So far I have fixed the door latches, rebuilt the heater, rebuilt the steering gearbox, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, corrected the plug wire order, hooked up the electric choke, set the timing, installed a thermostat, installed the rear fuel tank, fixed the headlight harness, installed a rearview mirror, bolted the passenger seat down, replaced the steering wheel, fixed the horn and ratchet strapped boosterseats with 4pt harnesses in for my girls (my wife doesnt think its legal but I'm pretty sure 2 ratchet straps are more secure than one lap belt%))

Looks like you are off to a great start! Welcome aboard!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I just did that today, 2&3 were reversed and had been for some time, it was popping out the carb sometimes which was why I even looked at the order, IDK what other motor would run so well with incorrect wires, none Ive ever seen

BTW why bolt down the passenger seat ? ;D

I messed up 2&3 once 20 years ago. Took a few weeks to finally find it. Random sneeze out the carb that I kept trying to chase down as a lean backfire as it acted like it wanted to do it like the choke wan't on enough.

Boat had 2 plug wires swapped for years. I just thought the engine was a bit tired. I had the firing order, didn't know the cylinder order. I could never figure out if it was a standard or reverse rotation engine. Nothing ever made sense, but it ran good. started right up, smooth, ran just fine, plugs read like they were all running evenly and good. Then one day I figured 2 wires were swapped, no way they could be swapped, it ran too good. Marked them on the cap and went to the lake. Figured I would give it a quick shot, have the sneeze out the carb and put it back just to prove that it couldn't be off. Swapped them, suddenly the engine had some response. It would toss your head when you cracked the throttle, WOW! Yes, they can run just fine with the wires in the wrong order but they run even better when you get them right.