• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone know.....on shaker intakes

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
All,

Back to the Shaker Intake possibility on a Bronco.

Looking at the Torino shaker unit, it looks as though the Angle on the front may match the angled crease in a stock hood!

Does anyone have access to a Torino Shaker Scoop to get the angle or visually compare. It is hard from photos like these, but DANG that would look so fantastic if the angles were the same!

Bill

TORINO_SHAKER-top.gif
shkr-frt-300.gif

Attachments

• Slide13.JPG
    Slide13.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 70

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
Will, I do have a 70 Torino GT in the barn, I'll see if I can take it off and lay it on the hood. Keep bugging me if I don't get back.

DEANCURTIS17

Loc.
Northern Virginia
Bill,

Please let me know what you come up with. I've been dying to do this too! I think I would be freakin sweet if some mfr would make one for the Bronco. Good luck. Have a great weekend.

Dean

Shelton823

Im In

If someone figures this out and we can somehow fab it I would do it in a second. Never liked the bubble hood but I think the shaker would be awesome. Wouldnt it have to sit a bit higher for a 351 in a bronco? Lets get on this anyone have more ideas?

Shelton823

Just talked to Leon at Ford Ram Air

Gave him a link to this thread he said he was going to check out the possibilities. If someone has already measured the requirements for this application post them here and Leon will try to work something out. My rig is in shop so I cant measure. Lets see if we can make something happen on this.

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
I too have been talking with Leon about this. The measurements he gave me that he would need space wise don't seem like it will work, but I'm still gonna try and measure. We (small blocks) need 4 1/2" of clearance from the top of the carb to the hood line. I'll try and see what I can do on my lunch break since my truck is right outside.

Mr-Mach1

Loc.
New York City
Thanks for the invite

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the invite and for considering me for your shaker needs. As I understand it you guys are tight on carb to hood clearance, more so than most any other application I've come across. I've given this project a bit of thought over a few beers and think I might be able to come up with something that will be a functional shaker.

Since there's not enough space under your hood for a traditional shaker assy I'm thinking something like a retangular pan/box that will attach to the carb and also hold a late model type square air filter. The scoop & seal will then sit on top of this. I'm thinking It might be possible to do with 2.5" of hood clearance. I can make the filter sit up inside the scoop a bit and cover it on three side so water won't land on it. I'll leave it open in the rear for air intake.

Of course I'll need someone who's willing to cut his hood and fit it for me when I get a prototype made. Anyone bold enough ;-D ? Once I have the fitment correct ( taller or lower) I can send it out to have a mold made. If that same someone is handy with fiberglass I can supply a trim ring for him to mod and make a mold of this as well so the whole deal will look factory. I'll need to know what the actual distance is from the top of the carb to the hood line.

Since I'm a one man wonder and now work day shift instead of the night shift I was on for the last three years this might take a bit of time. Family, work and the shaker biz in general take up all of my time. The only time I can find for new projects is what I give up in sleep. Right now I get five hours a day so a prototye will probable be at least eight weeks away unless I can find some time while I'm at the All Ford Nationals at Carlisle (N39-N41). Then It might be only a couple of weeks. Either way it's hard to say but if you guys show me enough interest I'll get into it just like I did for the guys that wanted ram air for their 72 Torinos and Boss 302 Mustangs.

The more units I know I can sell the lower I can make the initial cost. I do this by estimating how many I'll sell and divide that number into the investment cost (parts, molds ect) than add that onto the cost to manufacture. Add a little profit and BAMM, that's your price.

So, any takers ?

regards
Leon

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
On the subject of shaker hoods, I have a copy of a Petersen's 4wheel and off road magazine article from October of 1981 it features two James Duff Bronco's ( Including Pony Express) and it also has Duane Kennedy's 1967 Bronco with a 351 W and a Shaker hood scoop. If you are interested in it, I could scan the article and send it to you it has a couple of good shots of the scoop and a nice shot with the hood up. I had always kept an eye out for a deal on a shaker for my Bronco but I think deal and shaker are two words that were not ment to be used together. Now I have converted to EFI so an original shaker is not an option but I was considering the aftermarket reproduction shaker hood scoop that is designed to work with EFI. I saw it featured in a 5.0 mustang magazine some time back. I have not yet looked into it much but I'm crossing my fingers that it can be made to work on my Bronco. Gotta love that shaker scoop look.

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
Guys!

I think that a forward facing Torino unit would look best. Why? Well, look at the natural crease in our hoods! They are nearly identical to the torino unit!

Make it rear facing & we look like Pontiac Wanna-Be's! Lets keep a FORD look!!!!!!!

Maybe I am nuts & need a beer.......well the needing a beer bit is regardless!!!!

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
They most certainly will look really cool but I wouldnt expect anything performance wise from them. I ran an NHRA stock eliminator 428 Cobrajet 69 Mustang in the 70's and the scoop makes 0 difference in MPH which indicates horsepower plus they tagged us with 25 HP for using it. The scoop is too close to the hood and the air goes over the top of it. Thats on a Mustang so just imagine where the air is going with the barn door frontend on the Broncos. All that said I would do it for the cool factor alone. They really look neat with a decent cam in the motor. I know someone is going to say the cooler air helps but we did numerous back to back runs with both hoods several times and never ever saw any gain. The air deal was explained to me by a factory ford engineer/racer because I couldnt figure out why it didnt improve the power with the ram air.

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
I've been talking with Leon. I know he is busy as he mentioned earlier. He said he should be able to start it within the next few weeks. I'm sure he'll post back here when he knows more, otherwise I'll share what he informs me of.

76 explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
oklahoma city
the biggest problem i am seeing with a one scoop fits all bronco item is that not one bronco is the same. and hood clearance will change as well. mainly due to age of body bushings... if they have a body lift.... blah blah blah....

66roadhorse

Loc.
Houston
There is a reproduction Mustang shaker that is adjustable for different motors. On the Mustangs there were 7 different shaker bases to allow for different deck heighths and set back due to engine size. I will try to find a link to the repo shaker and post it here.