• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone make EXACT reproduction wiring harnesses?

OP
OP
C

C O D Y

Loc.
Brush Prairie, WA
I'll give them a call this week. I see they list a 72.

There's a difference in the 70 and 71 fuse box location so I'm assuming there's a different harness for those years, but does anyone know if there is a change from 71 to 72?

THANKS!

http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/

Never seen or used their products, but received a flyer at an event last year. They have a couple Bronco harnesses listed but they are pricey!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Unfortunately for the earlier models, there were quite a few of tiny changes over the years before '71. Not so much between '71 and '72 though.
There are a few extra circuits on some '72's that were not there on the previous ones, as one of Viperwolf1's threads will show. It's about the "ambient switch" and maybe a few other things.
Then again, there are some possible late-'72 changes that were possible as the model year changeover to '73 started.

I can't think of any major changes though, that would effect using a stock replacement.
Unless you don't want to do a single bit of "customizing" of your harness that is.
In that case, wait for others to say for sure. I just "don't think" there were any major changes.
I think they even used the same location for the voltage regulator. Is yours on the wheel well, next to the starter relay, or is it on the inner fender liner, just behind the battery?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and American Autowire does some stock original harnesses as well. Or at least an affiliate of theirs does. Might be worth a call too, as they're doing so well with their upgrade Bronco harness. They might have a stock one too.

Paul

OP
OP
C

C O D Y

Loc.
Brush Prairie, WA
Thanks guys for the help. I'm looking to stay 100% stock and as close to original as I can. I've always replaced old wiring with factory reproduction when available when I do a restoration.

What are you looking for, exactly? Drop-in simplicity, museum-quality accuracy, or something else? What exactly is wrong with all the harnesses you've already looked at?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Well, factory repro isn't available. But you still didn't answer the question. Why do you prefer the undersized antiquated factory harness to a modern one with more features, more safety, and more durability? Are you trying to build a museum Bronco, or are you gonna actually drive it? If you're gonna drive it, a modern harness will work better. If you're gonna show it, people will be more impressed if it actually works than if it looks like something they've never seen anyway.

OP
OP
C

C O D Y

Loc.
Brush Prairie, WA
I respect your opinion, ideas and experience and thank you for the additional thoughts about the wiring. I'm building more of a museum piece (for my own little museum) so maybe I'll look in to having the harness reproduced. I drive the cars I restore to keep things moving, but prefer them to be as close to stock as possible. Nothing against modified Broncos (I've seen some super cool ones), but I'm looking to build this one back to as close to stock as I can. If anyone wants a reproduction factory harness, let me know and I'll see what they will cost.

As a reference here's a few photos of the Challenger I did last year. As you can see it's just my preference to go build them as close to stock as possible.

05.jpg

08.jpg

11.jpg

09.jpg

17.jpg

20.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

26.jpg

30.jpg

Here's a photo of the 5,000 SF shop I am building right now to store my finished cars. It sits next to a 3,000 full fab shop. I started building it about 10 months ago and still have about 6 more months of work to get it done.

DSC03125.jpg

I look forward to learning as much as possible from all the great members on here. There's so many very knowledgeable people on this site! Thank you for the wiring advice guys.

Well, factory repro isn't available. But you still didn't answer the question. Why do you prefer the undersized antiquated factory harness to a modern one with more features, more safety, and more durability? Are you trying to build a museum Bronco, or are you gonna actually drive it? If you're gonna drive it, a modern harness will work better. If you're gonna show it, people will be more impressed if it actually works than if it looks like something they've never seen anyway.

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I can tell by your response you are a class act.

I can tell by your work that you are an artist.

Great approach on both points !

lowbush

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Summerland Key, FL
I can tell by your response you are a class act.

I can tell by your work that you are an artist.

Great approach on both points !

Agreed, I am a Mopar guy and that Challenger is amazing. After I saw that and your shop, I checked your profile because I was pretty sure you where going to be my new best friend. You can imagine my disappointment when I discovered that you live on the other side of the country. Anyways, Awesome car and an awesome place to store it. I hope you make out on your harness. Most of us are resto-moders and even the concourse guys usually settle for the new harnesses for the stated reasons, but I certainly understand the desire if you are going to that level or detail.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
Wow... that may look BETTER than the original ever did.

Awesome talent and awesome shop you have.

Greg

AZ73

Bronco Guru
Man, that's like a 1/2 gallon cup on your gun. Outstanding work though!

Dlish

What about sourcing an actual harness and just fixing what needs it. I think Delco Nick on the forums usually pulls the stock harness out and rehabs what needs it.

OP
OP
C

C O D Y

Loc.
Brush Prairie, WA
That's a great idea. If I'm unable to find a supplier or parts to make new harnesses I might go that route. My thought was to replace all the wiring with all new to assure that there's no problems with old 40 year old wires cracking or failing in the next 10 to 20 years.

What about sourcing an actual harness and just fixing what needs it. I think Delco Nick on the forums usually pulls the stock harness out and rehabs what needs it.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
In that case, the only person I know of who might be able to do a true repro harness is Ryan (RJMinjectionTech, OldFuelInjection), but he stays REALLY busy, and he's hard to get a direct response from. But he might sell many of the hard-to-find parts you'll need, so look around on his websites. Big custom projects sometimes take him a long time to ship (and he doesn't respond to questions about when or how much longer), but normal parts orders usually ship immediately.