• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone regret installing the kick panel speaker pods?

amfw

I have these on order, and have no doubt they are a great product, BUT...

I have installed a fair amount of stereos in cars, trucks, jeeps, Broncos. I always like to have front speakers, running just rears feels weird. So when I got started on the stereo for this bronco, I ordered the kick panel pods because they look to be a good product and get the speakers where I want them without needing to cut up my kick panels. But they are backordered, and I got started on everything else while I was waiting. Yesterday I got the center console, head unit, amp, powered sub, and insert panel speakers all installed and wired and I have to say, I don't feel like I'm missing the fronts at all. So now I'm feeling like the kick panel pods are just gonna be more work and more money, at the expense of foot room, with no real gain.

So my question is:

Did you find yourself in a similar situation and regret installing the pods? Or did you skip installing them and really wish you had?

If I hadn't already ordered them, I would just run wiring and leave it there for the future, but now im thinking I should call WH and use those kick panel dollars for something else...

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
You sound like you really know "sounds". I would say go for it. It's your Bronco, it's something you like to do and well...make it happen.

My only concern has always been foot space and I believe having to move the parking brake foot pedal.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Funny you should mention your dilemma... I didn't have "pods" but I did have a set of enclosed speakers tucked up in the dash and another set in the back. After I installed my speakers in the roadster inserts, the fronts contributed zero to my "soundscape". I had to balance the volume heavily towards them just to be heard... However, my speakers in the inserts sounded so much better that the front speakers that I really didn't want to hear them anyways.. I left the fronts hooked up for a while but eventually removed them just to "de-clutter" things... Maybe if they were better speakers I might have kept them but currently I am perfectly happy with one set in the doors and another set in the back.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Funny you should mention your dilemma... I didn't have "pods" but I did have a set of enclosed speakers tucked up in the dash and another set in the back. After I installed my speakers in the roadster inserts, the fronts contributed zero to my "soundscape". I had to balance the volume heavily towards them just to be heard... However, my speakers in the inserts sounded so much better that the front speakers that I really didn't want to hear them anyways.. I left the fronts hooked up for a while but eventually removed them just to "de-clutter" things... Maybe if they were better speakers I might have kept them but currently I am perfectly happy with one set in the doors and another set in the back.

yeah, soundscape is important to me, thats why I planned on the pods. Looking back at the other installs Ive done, I am realizing that my rears were always a good couple/few feet behind me, and on this one, they are right at my butt. IO really didn't think that would register in my ear so much as a front, but the sound is just so good right now, I don't see what more two extra fronts could really add, especially for the trade off in the foot box.

Eoth

Bronco Guru
Its all about your own tastes.. I balance a bit towards passenger side for the stereo effect and fade with the back speakers to "fill things in"... Only thing left is a nice weather drive along the shore of Lake Erie with Back in Black cranked up!! ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Its all about your own tastes.. I balance a bit towards passenger side for the stereo effect and fade with the back speakers to "fill things in"... Only thing left is a nice weather drive along the shore of Lake Erie with Back in Black cranked up!! ;D;D;D;D;D;D;D;D

/\/\THIS/\/\

Or "Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution"

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Yeah I usually balance right as well (sorry GF) and like the back for fill too... I'm thinking I'm gonna stick with it as is for now. I can make the stereo sound better with a tailgate silencing kit :)
And big yes to the AC/DC! No Great Lakes here, I'll have to settle for the Atlantic Ocean

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

For the record, I canceled my speaker pod order. I'm perfectly happy with the sound as is. I'm running wiring for fronts, since I already cut it and added connectors, and will leave it there in case I decide in the future I want to run front speakers. Looking forward to getting the inserts back in. Forecast is showing 72 here on Tuesday so I'm working up a Playlist...

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
GET that rig figured out before next month will ya?

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

GET that rig figured out before next month will ya?

Well... I'm feeling pretty good where we sit now :) AND since the RMV got hacked here, there is zero inspection sticker enforcement until 5/31. Longest she has stretched her legs was an hour round trip to Watertown, but everything went great! Want to get my temp sender/gauge working (parts on the way) before I head out much more than that. We've got Temps around 70 here Tuesday, gonna take a good long drive and see if anything else that needs to be addressed pops up.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
You know how to get a hold of me if you need anything

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How far do the kick panel pods extend in to the floor space in inches. I will have center mounted hand brake, so have free space, I like having front speakers so I can balance for sound i like.

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

How far do the kick panel pods extend in to the floor space in inches. I will have center mounted hand brake, so have free space, I like having front speakers so I can balance for sound i like.

I'm not sure exactly, I ended up canceling the order. But has to be at least 2.5-3 inches or more... Enough to make me worry about crowding my feet, as I have a clutch pedal and the 3 speed floor conversion kind of eating up some room down there too. Knowing how I am about sound though, I likely would have stuck it out, as I also don't like feeling like the sound is unbalanced. But I really have to say, with the two speakers mounted at my sides in the roadster panels, they don't feel like rear speakers at all, so I don't miss the fronts. I'm very pleased as is with my 2.1 setup. If I had speakers set further back I know I wouldn't feel the same way (my fronts just went out in my jeep and it's driving me nuts haha).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

/\/\THIS/\/\

Or "Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution"

either or for sure... :cool::cool:

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have them, put in 2013, no regrets. I used self sticking Velcro to install and damn near couldn’t pull them out recently for some work. The only issue is I bought one of the storage boxes that replaces the air box on the drivers side and it won’t fit all the way down with the park brake moved over. I cut the bottom off the storage box and recovered the bottom. Still a win win

gr8scott

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run a 2.1 stereo also. Couple speakers up front and sub in the back. 4 channel amp, sub is bridged.

My friend and I played the crap out of Back in Black, he started calling my bronco the "Bronco of Doom", haha. Pyromania comes in at a close second.

If anyone wants a remastered version of Back in Black (the Album), PM me your email address :)

BroncoJimbo

Contributor
Long-term owner
Loc.
North GA
I built my own out of MDF years ago and I noticed an immediate improvement in being able to appreciate music and talk radio while driving. Before with just the 6x9s in the rear panels there was no reason to have the radio on while driving.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
i wouldn't put anything electronic below half of bottom door level. watercrossings i go through will be higher than floor.

Attachments

• 20106565_10209837488039973_7686122024817154966_n.jpg
    20106565_10209837488039973_7686122024817154966_n.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
amfw

amfw

i wouldn't put anything electronic below half of bottom door level. watercrossings i go through will be higher than floor.

Yeah, if that was what I was doing with this rig, I wouldn't run them either, or just make them quick disconnect...

But this truck is only seeing roads and the lightest of trails. I'm more concerned with water from above than below ;)

JGZ

If you guys are looking for the kick panel speaker pods I have them.I am the original manufacturer of these parts..Hit me up if you need some.Thanks