• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone run a smaller spare?

fwilder

Hey guys,

I've got 33x12.5s and a stock spare carrier. My rig spend 90% of it's time on the street, but does get into the woods on occasion. Un improved roads and such, no rocks or crazy stuff. I want to keep my stock bumpers and therefore my stock spare carrier. I keep looking at that big lump of rubber on that thing and it makes me nervous. Looks nice, but makes me nervous. Does anyone run a smaller spare? I'm thinking of a 31x10.5 or even a 30x9.5. I figure cars run donuts all the time, so why can't I. And how dumb might this look? :-[ Any pics of a rig with big tires and a smaller spare? How small is too small.

Thanks

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Gear and lockers will be the problem.....

I've read that some with 33"x12.50"s would run 33"x9.50"s for a spare. it has the same outside diameter.

I have a 33" tire on the bumper just to fill the space, I run 37"s

Attachments

• DSC01868.JPG
    DSC01868.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 32

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Still isn't advised. Look at it this way, I run about 80/20 street to dirt & use a full size spare, but I also rotate all 5 tires. I get about an extra 20% out of them that way. The last set of tires I had (Peerless brand) I got close to 50k out of because of the full size spare. On the set I have right now (33x12.5), I have almost 30k and I have almost 1.25" tread depth left. Just another reason to go with the full size, it makes the life of your tires longer.

Check that, I just measured, 1" tread depth...

OP
OP
F

fwilder

I'm not too worried about treadwear. I put maybe 5K a year on the truck. I DD to do most of my miles. I wonder how much weight I would save running a 33x9.5

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I wish BFG made a 35" Mud TA in a 9.5" or 10.5" width so I could run a lighter spare with the same diameter as the main tires. Rotating the spare in is a good practice, but carrying that big heavy spare is not fun. and is hard on the stock tire carrier.

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
If you do run a smaller spare at least carry a tire plug kit and a compressor. That should take care of most problems.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Do you ever run that spare Mad?

Knock on wood, I never had to use it....

I put it there because the bumper looked empty. funny thing is hardly anyone noticed it being different size...

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
quite a bit of weight savings fred. i have a 33x9.50 on my back bumper with 33x12.50's on the ground. the 9.50 is on an aluminum 7" rim, so i'd say it weighs about 20 lbs or better less than my pro comps on their 10" steelies. i don't care about the fact that the rim doesn't match, it's a lot easier on my back lifting it if i have to. plus it doesn't stick out as far. plus for free i couldn't beat it!!!!!!!!:cool:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BF-G...003QQitemZ130212333996QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Attachments

• DSCF0248.JPG
    DSCF0248.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 33

pblackb592

Back when I was a dumb kid (about 10 years ago) I used to do many things to get home from the trail. On my first bronco I once ran home all the way from ice house road (rubicon) back to sacramento on a 35 inch spare when I was running 36tsls. I had a rear spool. The diameter must have been quite a bit difference because the bfg isnt very close to a 35 while the 36 tsl is much more close to the advertised dimension. It got me home fine. It did pull quite a bit to the side but that was to be expected. I also once drove home in front wheel drive when I broke the rear axle of my 9 inch. I had a detroit in the front and that was werid to drive a long distance lol. But hey I was a dumb kid, had no money other then what was into the truck at the time. And all my moms children lived and I have all my fingers. Would I advise running a smaller spare, Not really, But if it gets you home go for it :)

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When I went up to 35's I kept my 33 that I was using as a spare to save a few bucks, it matches my 35's only smaller. I figured the worst would be having to change 2 tires to move it to the front and leave a hub or hubs unlocked. Knock on wood I haven't had to use it. As stated above I keep some plugs and 12V compressor also but thus far haven't had a flat.

aaronmichorn

Loc.
Taylorsville
I went to the local - not chain - tire store in town and asked them to see their tires that they were going to throw away. They had some 33x9.5's (I run 12.5's) so I got one, and they even gave me an old steel wheel and mounted it free. I knew one of the guys at the shop from church, so they didn't charge me anything. But basically they go through hundreds of tires per week and have to get rid of them. Old tires aren't too much of a comodity to them. They are more of a liability.

Free makes me happy.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
right now I have a 30-9.5-15 as a spare. it's just what I had left laying around when I put my 32s on. I figure it's okay, just in an emergency to limp home. I do want to eventually build a bumper that can safely carry a full size spare though.

critt77matt

Loc.
Kiln/Oxford, MS
if your axel bearings use diff oil for lube one side being lower(small spare) can cause loss of oil to the higher side causing the bearings to fail.

OP
OP
F

fwilder

An emergency limp home is really all I'm looking for. Like I said earlier cars do it with their donuts all the time.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you do run a smaller spare at least carry a tire plug kit and a compressor. That should take care of most problems.

That is what I do..but I carry no spare..just my on-board York air and a full-service pro-grade tire plug and patch kit in the go box.

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
I leave my spare at camp when wheeling to keep from dragging the thing over every rock in the world it seems. But I am running a Duff bumper, so hanging off the body ain't a big deal. Always have somebody that can run back and grab it if needed. I am running 36 Iroks and my current spare is a half worn BFG Mud 35. It will work if needed I guess, but going to a full size just so when I beat one up, I can throw the full size on and go.