• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Does anyone run a smaller spare?

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
That is what I do..but I carry no spare..just my on-board York air and a full-service pro-grade tire plug and patch kit in the go box.

What happens if you split a sidewall or some other unrepairable thing? Or is that a fairly uncommon occurance on the trail? Just wondering - I've never had either happen, but I haven't done any really hard core off roading, just minor trail stuff.

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
35x12.5 15 tires, but I have a 33x9.5 15 spare
It will limp me home or off the trail where I can fix or replace the flat or damaged 35

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What happens if you split a sidewall or some other unrepairable thing? Or is that a fairly uncommon occurance on the trail? Just wondering - I've never had either happen, but I haven't done any really hard core off roading, just minor trail stuff.

Cutting a sidewall is common enough in the rocky places I wheel and its the one thing I'm most worried about too when it comes to not carrying a spare.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I have a 33x9.50 as a spare but used to have a stock sized spare. As fate has it I rarely have had a front tire flat and always had to change 2 tires I wouldnt run a smaller tire on the rear with a trac loc or any other traction device unless I absolutely had to. I recently went to the AZ Stampede and found my spare was flat luckily I didnt get a flat that weekend. but I was carrying around a useless tire thats worse than a donut.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
If you have any type of traction differential, you shouldn't use a different size tire on it. Even a new and worn tire on the saqme axle isn't recomended. One option is to only use the odd size tire on the front with hubs unlocked.

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I have run 33x12.5s and run a 33x10.5 for a spare. Bfg mud terrain on the rig and bfg atko for a spare. I don't know how much lighter, but way easier to put on the carrier, and still the same od to get you home (I had lockers).

Projp

I've got to where I don't carry a spare for loop type trails that are not to long.

I usually run with 3 or 4 other guys. If bolt patterns are the same only one of us carrys a spare.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I am running a 33 spare and 35's all around. But only because I split the sidewall on one of my 35's! Had to move my 35 spare to my driver's side rear and the only thing I had was a 33. I will go back to a 35 when I can find a used one in good shape.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have run a smaller spare and have used it too.
Do not use a smaller tire on the rear axle with a posi. It will eat the posi up. Going straight down the road the posi will just grind itself away. With an open diff it will be just fine. What happens if you need a rear tire? Put the spare on the front and the front tire on the rear. The Mustang people found years ago that using the tiny spare on the back would end the life of the posi.

Now with the smaller front tire limit 4WD usage. I mean really limit it. Use it only if absulutly needed. Only use it when tire slippage will be encountered to relieve the stress caused by an odd size tire. With a smaller front tire there will be some pull in the steering and when braking. But it is generally very predicable and controllable. With the front hubs unlocked the front diff will never know that there is a different size tire on the axle.

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
I guess if you HAD to run a smaller diameter spare, you could always air down the other three to match.

If you have 35's and a 33 spare, air the 35s down to match the 33. Use a tape measure to confirm?

Wouldn't that work in a pinch?

SecondChance

Loc.
Gresham
I guess if you HAD to run a smaller diameter spare, you could always air down the other three to match.

If you have 35's and a 33 spare, air the 35s down to match the 33. Use a tape measure to confirm?

Wouldn't that work in a pinch?

might be able to get away with that on the trail but I'm not sure I would run it on the street that way. Lowering the pressure enough in a 35 to make it the same size as a 33 would make it pretty soft. this will cause tire roll in corners. not to mention excessive heat. Probably best to put the 33 on the front, run two wheel drive and deal with the pullin.

grant_71

Bronco Guru
An emergency limp home is really all I'm looking for. Like I said earlier cars do it with their donuts all the time.

I say you are better off having something as a spare than no spare at all, run what you can right now, but keep your eyes peeled for a matching size spare, i f you just have to limp it home or to the nearest town, you are not going to kill anything running an under size tire for a few miles (slowly)

Grant

OP
OP
F

fwilder

sounds like I might do the 33x9.5. I haven't had any problems with the 33x12.5 on the stock carrier yet, but the horor storys scare the hell out of me.