• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

DOM tubing

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
Guys

I was wondering what 1.75" .120 wall Dom tubing is running in your parts of the country?

$3.50 a foot here in eastern NC

IIRC it was running $2.50 a foot a couple years ago

JDJ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan
I priced some a few weeks ago

1-3/4" .120" was $4.35/ft

I'm in Dothan, AL but I priced it from a place in Chatanooga TN

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Right at $ 5.00 a foot here DOM 1 3/4'' .120

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
You guys can actually find it without have to have it shipped????? I found it on the internet at a place in Saint Louis for 4.60 a foot plus shipping. Cheapest I could find it for me without buying 100 feet.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I know it has been discussed before but I still have a hard time believing DOM is required to build a safe cage. I was touring a tube mill a couple of weeks ago where we buy about a million dollars worth of tubing a year. I asked the plant manager about the difference in strength between the two and he laughed at the idea that there was enough difference to even care. In his opinion the only real reason for DOM was for the exact tolorance on the ID and OD of the tube. I asked why does NASCAR use it if it isnt stronger and he said because of liability issues. They didnt want people using crappy quality tubing that might not be welded properly or out of round. His opinion was that properly welded and true round welded tube was just as strong if not stronger than DOM since some material is lost as it is drawn over the mandrel.

Dont change because of my opinion I just thought I would share what the tube mill told me.

Greg

Last edited:

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I paid $2.25 per foot a couple of months ago. this was at a steel shop in AZ, the shop here in NM has a minimum purchase of $40. Shipping kills any deal so buy locally. Also if you only need a short length ask if you can sort through the scrap pile, that stuff is usually deeply discounted to free.

BlackHills4X4

Loc.
Rapid City, SD
I just purchased 120' of 1 3/4 .109 tubing for $25.00 per 20' here is SD. We use this tubing in all of the stock cars (late models, sprints, etc.) out here. They fall into compliance with the WISSOTA specs. I have never seen any failures due to the tubing. Welds and cage configurations...well that's another story. They should inspect those too.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'm with Greg on this one... 1 3/4" .120 is $0.69/ft where I shop. I think as long as your welding skills are good a non-DOM cage would hold up.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Lol, yes it is but I'm talking just regular old round pipe not DOM as far as I know. I think as long as you'd have more than just a four point cage but rather one with multiple bracing and frame contact points it wouldn't fail. I might go with a .170 wall instead of .120 but still much cheaper. I know guys that weld for a living and have worked with metal for many years and they've never seen a seem failure... I'm no engineer though so what I'm saying is just what I believe not proven by science.

J and I Manufacturing in Madill, OK is where that price comes from by the way, and all their prices are listed online.

Durtymax

$2.50 per foot here in Medford Or. The other big difference with DOM and HREW is the seam can crack and let moisture in. Water will build up and cause all kinds of problems.

ned72

Loc.
Truckee
i went to Wyotech for school and was taught that dom is best but as long as it is properly fitted, welded, braced and there are no sanctioned rules dom is not necessary.