• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Donor explorer rear disc removal tools needed

snick

Contributor
I'm going to remove the complete rear discs off a junk yard 98 explorer this weekend and had a question for those who have done this before - what tools will I need to get these off the donor explorer? The more specific the better. I always seem to have to drive home covered in grease to get more tools from my garage while I'm mid pull. Any special tools like some sort of puller or anything along those lines that I'll need? Thanks in advance

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
One thing I recall is either a 1/4" or 5/16" (I think) socket to get a little small bolt off in the diff so the axle shafts can be removed. The c-clips can be a bit of a pain to drive out.

Todd Z.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Easier than pulling 9 inch disks, I found some and had a chisel and a hammer beating the crap out of the bearing to get it split didn’t wan the axles

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Easier than pulling 9 inch disks, I found some and had a chisel and a hammer beating the crap out of the bearing to get it split didn’t wan the axles

That is true! I always hated that when pulling the Lincoln parts.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
And you'll need a good mix of SAE/metric wrenches. For example, the caliper bolts are 10mm and the axle bolts are SAE.

Todd Z.

OP
OP
S

snick

Contributor
Very helpful info. I learned after my first trip to my local self serve yard that a BFH is an absolute must bring tool. Thank you!

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
u are prolly better off buying the whole axle and selling it to a jaeep guy then use the money to buy a complete new kit for rear discs