• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door alignment issue with pictures

boatable

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. I agree...would someone please look at these pictures and point me to a solution. It is only on the drivers side. Please have a look and offer suggestions or links to a post that already has addressed this issue. Thank You!
IMG_0273Small.jpg

IMG_0274Small.jpg

IMG_0277Small.jpg

IMG_0276Small.jpg

IMG_0280Small.jpg

IMG_0281Small.jpg

jdcone

Loc.
riverside, ca
You would probably think it's the door, right? It's actually the side of the rear quarter panel. Mine is the same, caused by the connections of the rollbar, sucking in the rear drivers quarter panel. Yours might be the same, or caused by the 1/2 cab.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Take your striker off. Adjust your hinges so the door closes correctly everywhere. Looks like your top hinge needs to be moved in a little and both hinges need to come up a hair. Once the door lines up with the striker out, put the striker back in and adjust it until the door closes correctly.

I went through this same process with my '65 Mustang a couple of years ago when I took it apart to paint it. I had to adjust the hinges and striker a half dozen times before everything lined up correctly.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
1: How are the gaps at the front of the door?
2: Does the body and the door line up correctly along the body seem in the front?
3: Did you or the PO replace the post?
If the front lines up correctly and the body seems are correct in the front I would look at the body bushing under the driver floor pan. However before you work on the floor pan bushing I would check to make sure the body is parallel with the bumpers then go from there. From what I can tell from the pic the whole door needs to be raised, however I can't tell without seeing the a pic of the complete door, fender and rear quarter.
Also as thegreatjustino stated, remove the striker and line up the door then place the striker on.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Nice ride .
It looks like you have the stock hinges . Have you checked to see how much slop is in the hinge pins ? You might have to replace the hinges. Or at least the pins
As stated ; adjusting the hinges is a " dance " at best . Move one way and it affects at least three measurements. Especially over the length of the door.
Unless your patience level is moderately high you might want to take it to a " trained professional "
If you loosen the hinge bolts where they attach to the door post you can roll the top hinge up . That will move the door handle /striker area of the door up AND in . BUT will also move the front of the door up and in -- it's a dance .
If no success after the patience goes away - replace the pins or the hinges - that's what i had to do with the '76 .--If the pins are worn the door is going to sag .
SHX
If you get the door adjusted to your liking and it happens to hit the windsheild frame in the vent window area; then loosen the bolts that attach the top to the windsheild . Then adjust the windsheild frame to line up with the door frame . Then retighten.

Last edited:

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
This is in the top 5 of things I hate about rebuilding the Broncos. The Door adjustment, AAAAAAAAgghhhhhhhh, everytime.

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
It is my opinion that door gaps on an early Bronco are the hardest part to deal with. I have never seen one with the door gaps 100% spot on.
I spent months with a welder, grinder and a hammer getting mine right. My doors are now custom fit to my truck.

I would recommend getting the door to line up with the rocker and quarter panel first then move the fender around to fit the door.

You should be able to push the top hinge in to fix the gap in your pics.

Nice truck.

302fix

Contributor
You would probably think it's the door, right? It's actually the side of the rear quarter panel. Mine is the same, caused by the connections of the rollbar, sucking in the rear drivers quarter panel. Yours might be the same, or caused by the 1/2 cab.

Great advice! Been tweaking mine all winter and this info really helped! Once I unbolted the rollbar the quarter returned and lined up much better.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Looks like typical bronco doors as John John said they all seem to have a little gap some where. MY one 73 Has the opposite issue tight on the top but open on the bottom but fits evreywhere else real nice? The suggestions above are about all you can do.

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I've worked on mine until I'm blue. Same issues. Gap tight either top or bottom but unable to get it balanced. I think my cage is causing some of it. Now that I think about it I should have adjusted the doors before I bolted the cage to the tub and to the frame.

Buldozer

Bronco Virtuoso
Loc.
God's Country
Yep, just about everyone has some door alignment problem...there are so many factors that can contribute including the doors themselves, hinges, hing pins, body panels, striker, door post, tweaked tub, and on & on. I have done everything from move the striker to a new location to bend the hinges custom to fit and no one thing seems to get you there....Good luck!

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
I did make the door gaps close to perfect on a Bronco once. It only required rebuilding the hinges, twisting the hinge pillar, rebuilding the rocker, tweaking the quarter, cutting and rewelding the spot welds on the fender, and some grinding and welding on the door edge. Easy peasy.;)