• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Alignment-Need to even the gaps

dreg

Loc.
Winston-Salem
I recently took one of my doors off for body repair and am having a hell of a tough time getting it realigned properly. Any advice or tricks of the trade that I should try to help me get a flush fit?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
You talkin the door gaps or bringing the door flush with the body?

If its door gaps then you need to shim the body mounts. (Do a search on here and youll find the instructions)

If its bringing the door flush with the body then you need to adjust the hinges and the striker plate a little. More than likely you need to add some body filler to the door or budy tub to get it perfect.

Door alignment can be a tedious task. May take you a full day to get it "close enough". If your looking for perfect it may take you weeks.

Casey835

What worked for me was snugging the hinge bolts, use a small block of wood and a hammer and adjust the hinges however you need to. You want the bolts tight but not to tight you cant move them easily with the hammer and wood. To get the bottom front to come out where I needed it, I actually got inside and grabbed the top of door and gently bumped it at the bottom at the front corner to get it to move out. Nothing I did caused any type of damage to the metal or hinges. Just take it slow,stand back and look at what needs to shift to make it right. Mine ended up being damn near perfect.

bptommy

Loc.
Arlington, TX
just to add whats been said, start by linning your door up off the rear quater panel and work your way foreward the fender you can shim and has flex ability. It also helps to take your striker off while your working, it also has some degree of flex ability..if you do a search there are alot of threads on door alignment in my op one of the hardest things to get right on these rigs as its very tedious as mentioned previously..good luck

Lmfp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lake Charles, LA
To help save some time measure the gap from the top of the door openings. And measure the bottom just to make sure it is square. I know mine is sagging im just waiting to get it running again so i can borrow a buddies car lift to change the mounts.