• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Alignment problems

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Hello everyone.

I just trailered my newly bought 1971 bronco home to PA last night from Virginia. I am thrilled to death with it because all the body panels are solid, and the frame is in incredible shape given the age of the vehicle. Also, the 170 strait six runs like a swiss watch with it's new carb and pertronix electronic ignition. The only problem I'm having is with the alignment of the driver's side door. When the door is shut, there is about a half inch gap between the window frame and the channel on the hard top. The window frame of the door is about a half inch away (not up or down) but out away from the hard top. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so do you know what the solution would be? A friend of mine suggested heating the bottom of the windor frame and trying to bend it inward a bit. Does this sound like a good idea or is there a better way to fix this? Thanks very much for any advice. It's great to finally be an Early Bronco owner who actually has possesion of his Bronco!!!;D ;D

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
If I understand you right, you can loosen the top hinge and push it in. You may have to loosen the bottom one to align the bottom after you push in the top. You can bend the top of the window frame in if the hinges don't help. You should not have to heat it and burn your paint. They use 2x4s and rubber hammers wrapped in towels to align doors on new cars at the factory. High tech, Huh?

tsmustangs

Loc.
All Over
Without a picture I think I understand what you describe as the top of the window sticks out from where it should meet the hardtop?

If that is the problem I wouls say look at the frame where it meets the top of the door. The weld there tends to break, maybe yours is broken or it was broken and someone welded it back in place at the wrong angle.

Terry

siderbox

Bronco Guru
Mine was doing the same thing.
As tsmustangs said sounds like where the frame meets the door is where you're problem is. That is where mine is.
I will address mine when in stage II of the build.;D

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If I understand correctly...it sticks a 1/2" out away from the top? You can roll your window down and actually bend your frame inwards towards the hardtop. You should be able to go 1/2" without a probelem. I had to do this when I installed a soft top and my door left a gap there. By bending the frame in..it got rid of that gap and now hugs up tightly to my weather stripping.

Blue71

OP
OP
B

Braddw25

Loc.
Jersey Shore, PA
Thanks Very much

Gentlemen,

Thanks very much for the replies. Problem solved. I feel kinda dumb for not trying that before, but it just never occurred to me that it would be something that simple. I was able to bend the window frame back in the half inch, and everything seems to fit just fine now. Thanks again for your help.

Bradd