• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Door Hing Post!!!! SUCCESS!!!!

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I finally got my Door Hing Post welded on!

No pics tonight. I haven't had time to shave down the welds, but the "over cambering" of the door allowed every measurement to come out EXACTO!!! I am very stoked!

Now my question is about how to hang a door without getting totally P'ed off and stomping it into little bits!!!

Also, I have noticed that since the new post is in I still have to lift up on the door in order to get it to latch. I took a quick look at the hinges them selves, and "HOLY PLAY BATMAN!!!!

The hinges have about a 2 degree wobble in them. Extend that over the 3+ feet of the door and you get a NO CLOSE SITUATION!!!

What do you guys suggest??? New Hinges or rebuild? The right ones are fine, just perfect. The drivers side....wobble city!

On to hanging the door! How do you properly do it??? Has anyone built a rolling door hanger? Something that you can loosley attach the door to the post, then close it attach the roller and then open it, but in the exact XYZ coordinates that it needs to be????? Maybe I'll just build one for fun????

PLEASE HELP!

mrcat88

Bronco Guru
Loc.
VacaVILE, CA
You can get a bushing kit from any of the parts houses for cheap, and rebuild the hinges that way. I would not suggest this, though, since a small mistake will make them wobble again, and that happened to mine.

in stead of fixing them, I would go with the WH chrome lift off hinges. They looks awesome, are brand new, are rebuildable, and they allow you to lift the doors off really easily whenever you want to. They are very expensive, but it's a one-time expense that will alst your for years.

Mrcat88

brutis72eb

Bronco Guru
Loc.
South Carolina
You can also make those lift off's yourself! I might be doing this myself, Ill tell you how it turns out. Has anyone done this mod. if so do you have any problems or regrets that you did this? Thanks;D

Slumlord

Loc.
Portland, Oregon
What about the WH rebuilt kit? My hinges shake like a demon going down the road and I was thinking about the WH rebuild kit. Anyone have this, if so, how well does the rebuild work?

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Wildchild makes a removable hinge for about half the price of the WH. The also sell velcro removable door straps. I think they're about 150.00 for the full set. Chuck also sells the Wildchild hinges on his site. I agree that the removable is the way to go. The WH hinges are polished stainless steel.

Case

Not to highjack this thread, but can the writing on BC's site get much smaller?? Is it me or does the writing seem alittle small? Im trying to find the hinges and cant, maybe i need another drink and that will help. ;D ;D
edit, and now that i said something i finally find the hinges. %) %) :-X

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
On the lift off hinges.....

I still haven't got a good plan for the "getting the damn door to fit right". Has anyone figured out a way to get that to work? My biggest problem is ok, you test fit, but then when you go to unlatch the door, loosen the bolts and move the plates, it is IMPOSSIBLE to hold the door in the exact position!!!

As far as the removable hinges, I am still thinking on that........ Just not sure! I didn't even see them on BC's site??? What are they under??

ken75ranger

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Troy, NY
I'm not sure if this will work with metal doors. It worked with my 'glass ones.
Tighten down the bolts enough that the door won't move on it's own. Keep the door low and to the outside. Tap the hinge in or up with a wood block. Do one hinge. tighten it. Then do the other.The should move about a 1/8 inch at a time. Repeat as necessary. Hope this helps.

Case

They are under body and trim. On the top of the page under the fiberglass doors on the price part. Have you tried getting a frined or two to help with the door. Or a engine hoist to hold the door.

OP
OP
MnkyBiz

MnkyBiz

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Northern VA/DC
I have my dad to help. He has a bad back, so he gets the "wrenching" duties while I hold the door! Not a lot of fun when he is boogerin his knuckles and taking forever on each bolt!!!

brutis72eb

Bronco Guru
Loc.
South Carolina
I had my brother help me and we got the doors lined up just right. I guess it was pure luck (on both sides). Are these the doors that came with the original bronco body?